Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#21 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 3:39:58 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Hey Bill - spring flood outlook dropped today. TL;DR - wet autumn plus above normal snowpack equals high flood risk this spring.
"With last year's above normal precipitation pattern deeply saturating the soils, near normal frost depths, high winter flows in the rivers and streams and current elevated water content in the snowpack, we have a well above normal chance of widespread spring flooding across the NCRFC area. As usual, spring precipitation and temperature patterns in the coming months will determine the snowmelt rate and runoff timing. Based on these conditions we expect a high probability of seeing widespread flooding."
(Warning: PDF auto-download if you click)
MPX flood outlook - this is for the Minneapolis NWS area, but your link will bring you to the north central region as well

Edited by user Friday, February 14, 2020 3:44:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
William Schlafer  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:54:41 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Yeah, I heard the flood forecast today on the radio during the drive home from work.

It's all about the timing. A gradual snow melt would be welcome, as would a more normal spring rainfall amounts. Pretty good snow cover right now, and a good chance for a least a couple more snowfall events before spring finally takes hold. Should be an interesting spring.

The upside to all the moisture is that the aquifers are fully charged and in great shape for the foreseeable future. Wasn't that long ago we were bemoaning low water flows and even a few creeks drying up from drought.

It is depressing to see how some of the creeks in SW Driftless Area have been changed for the worse, at least for Trout fishing. I did a little driving tour though the area back in December and there's still plenty of obvious damage through Vernon, Richland and Sauk counties. Some of the small farms I've fished on for years are now abandoned or no longer in operation due to consecutive years of heavy floods.

But, every day there's 3 more minutes of daylight. I noticed tonight that the street lights here in Milwaukee didn't kick on until about 5:45PM. And in three weeks DST begins extending the evening daylight.

I'm still waiting to get out for my first outing of this year. A bit too much snow on the ground right now for easy and safe walking. Maybe next weekend if the weather improves and stream conditions don't deteriorate.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 2/15/2020(UTC)
weiliwen  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:40:40 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
"And in three weeks DST begins extending the evening daylight."

Yes! I'll have time to fish after work starting then. I just bought a Sage TXL 7'11" 2 weight that I'll use on one or two of the tiny creeks in my area.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"