Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmalyuk  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:20:38 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I've fished with Ger Moua multiple times. We pick each other's brain frequently...if you have the opportunity to chat with him I highly recommend it!
Commish78  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:02:45 AM(UTC)
Commish78

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Not sure if I will make the Madison show, I wish they had more content specifically for stream trout people (besides TU). Len Harris did a presentation a few years ago and it seemed to be pretty well attended. Several people on this board are more than qualified to do a one hour seminar on driftless trout angling, somebody should volunteer.

I want to plug a business with a booth at the show--Mat's Reel Repair Service from Eagle River. I don't have a personal connection with Mat Hegy the owner other than that he has cleaned and repaired several of my vintage reels and is very competent. He had no problem with tasks that my local sources could not do. If you make the show, introduce yourself, if you have a reel needing repair, you can leave it with him now and he'll ship it back to you.
trapper  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:42:40 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I will be there either Sat or Sunday depending on the weather
Get Reel
Gurth  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 2:20:05 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Gonna drop in today on my way home.

Over/under on my impulse lure purchases is set at $100.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
JGF  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 2:27:55 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Over/under on my impulse lure purchases is set at $100.

I'll take the over... ThumpUp

Gurth  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 2:45:09 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Me too.

Just don’t tell the wife.
Gurth  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 2:40:55 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Would have stayed under if not for the bargain area at the end. Mostly stuff I didn’t need but they did have a couple baskets of Panther Martins for $2.50 each. I bought all of the size 6s they had and a couple 4s and my tally came to over $60.

Good thing they didn’t have 9s too. Crazy good deal.

The rest of the show was fun to walk through and I grabbed a bunch of plastics that I hadn’t seen before and some bass jigs in colors that I also hadn’t seen before.

Lots of outfitters From Ontario and the north woods as to be expected.

Met my TU people for the first time and volunteered to Fishing Without Boundaries. Spoke with a Driftless guide and several bass yahoos. Spoke with a DNR game warden about... stuff.

Fun time. Glad I went.

Gurth  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 1:22:55 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Figured I just bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

Gonna stop by on my way home from work today.

Went from ambivalent leading up to last year's show to having this one on the calendar six months ago. Laugh Damn, but do I love to browse fishing gear.

Bought a bag of paddle tail plastics from a vendor last year… a very specific variant with an olive body and a silver/grey tail. These absolutely slayed pike and walleye on my Canada trip last June and I eventually ran out of them, thanks mostly to the pike.

Other tails that I had did not perform as well… even other olive-ish ones.

The guy whose booth it was sold me on the fact that the light colored tail was the key.

Proof's in the pudding and I'll be grabbing a few bags this year if he's at the show again.

Tried to figure out who he was from the vendor's list so I could find him online, but never could.

Anyway… looking forward to the show.

Oh yeah… and Zona's gonna be there tonight haha.

I'll be the guy that has him cornered showing him my bass photos on my phone.

In truth… I like his show (even if it's way too bass-centric) and I find him engaging.

Doubt I'll stop by his seminar as I should be on my way home by that point.

Edited by user Saturday, February 29, 2020 12:26:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madguy30  
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2020 2:54:39 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Actually considered going this year but I looked at the schedule and didn't see anything all that intriguing.

The only thing I'm doing this year to add to my 'game' is trying out fast sinking polyleaders and that just takes entering a few numbers into the laptop and waiting a few days.

It's good for anyone looking for new tactics and such, maybe some deals but I'm set on flies and my tactics are to cast randomly and see what happens, haha.
Gurth  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 2:51:35 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Oh… I didn't go to learn anything. I went to shop!

UserPostedImage

It's mostly outfitters and upper end stuff that I don't want or won't spend that much money on, but there are diamonds in the rough and bargains to be found.

Grabbed a BIG bag of the paddle tails that I was looking to restock.

UserPostedImage

Even my kid asked if those were the ones we ran out of in Canada last year. Maybe he's more aware than I give him credit for.

Also found assorted plastics in colors that I've never seen before and/or can't find in any of the stores that I frequent.

I could seriously have a tackle box just for my plastics and like all other things fishing tackle related – probably only actually use like 10% of them with any regularity.

Found all-black Hula Poppers on the bargain table for $3 each. Super cheap for a Hula and all-black is maybe the only variant I didn't have – my stores don't carry them… only carry the all-black Jitterbug. Anyway, bought two.

These might be good to try on slack trout water at dusk!

Other assorted bargains and oddities were purchased.

Signed up to help with Wounded Warriors and Fishing Without Boundaries.

Avoided all trout people – man do their booths seem BORING. The local TU for instance… no photos… no videos… just some older dudes and a fly tying vice - (Laugh… I'm 50 and think they're "older" what does the Instagram crowd think?)

Yeah… I know… easy to be a dick and criticize from 30000 feet but if you're trying to get more people interested in trout fishing (and by extension TU), show them something interesting as the hook. I doubt very strongly that fly tying is the entry point or hook for most trout fishermen.

Fly tying came later for all of my buddies who tie.

I'm no longer a member. I appreciate (much) of what they do but that's not my scene.

Anyway… enough of that.

If anyone from Southwest TU is reading this… bring in a TV and at least run a slide show of local photos. Doesn't have to be all grip and grins. Show the streams and the beauty that's out there. Could also run videos.

Make people want to stop and chat. Even existing trout fishermen might stop by if they see something interesting and that would be a chance to get them involved.

Who knows… maybe their booth set records this year and I can go pound sand.

Stopped to listen to Zona's talk on my way out and glad I did. He was funny and engaging and described drop-shotting for deep water bass. It's nothing I couldn't have picked up from his show – in fact it was what he covered this past weekend - but was a worthwhile half hour of my time to hear it in person.

UserPostedImage

I have several places where it may be a good way to target them. Have just used a football jig and squid tail – which works, but maybe the drop shot works better.

Anyway… the Expo was a fun way to spend a couple of hours after work on a Friday.

After two years of a row attendance though, I'm probably good for a bit now.

Edited by user Monday, March 2, 2020 4:41:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified