Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Eau Galle River Options
Trimbeller
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:46:48 PM

I am gonna be back in the DA and was looking at hitting a couple of new streams aside from my staples (Rush, Kinni, Trimbelle). The one that really intrigues me is the Eau Galle. I know that in the past they have had big trout kills because of warm weater temps... is that still the case? Ive also heard that there are some good holes with big browns and a little multi-species action... any truth there? Is the Eau Galle even worth the time? Any feedback is much appreciated as well as other stream suggestions.

Thanks and tight lines!

Luke
Mark Dahlquist
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:07:22 PM

Hi Luke,

Yes I would give Eau Galle a whirl assuming not too much water being released from the dam. You can check the USGS gauge before you fish. Spring Valley - Elmwood area good. Best I have found is upstream of 170th. Very similar to the Rush. Quality browns and brookies. This area still gets supplemental stocking of browns. Brookies come from Cady and Knight Creeks. Upstream of P in Elmwood to the high school also good.

I would also consider fishing lower Plum Creek below Plum City. Very good brook trout water with a few big browns. Some folks even fish the mouth for biggies.

Good luck! Post your reports here!
-Mark
Board Owner

Buck Trutta
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:22:58 PM

I have fished the Eau Galle a few times mostly from Handy Andy Memorial Park upstream through Spring Valley. The 29 bridge has some super deep holes. I have not fished the Elmwood area but during my sons baseball game, I walked some of it and seen a few risers.

Last year there was an instance that the lake overflooded the dam and now there are quite a few sunfish and largemouth in the stream. I used to fish it alot because you rarely ever seen anyone else, but the past 2 years I see more and more fisherman.

I would recomend the Plum also. I have caught a ton of fish from there and have never seen another fisherman as of yet. Over the past 3 years I have seen more and more brookies in the upper reaches of the river. If you park on the 10 bridge, there is a nice hole just under and a few more upstream. There is a 4 wheeler path the follows this section and makes for easier walking.
Trimbeller
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:26:59 PM

Sounds like a blast! Thanks alot to the both of you! I will definetly post "hopefully" a successful report right here when I get back!

Switching topics a bit... has anyone ever fished pine creek (i think?) down by Maiden Rock? Heard they did some HI in there and thought it might be fun to check that out as well. Thaks again guys!
Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:55:58 PM

Yes Pine Creek at AA has 8000 brookies/mile. Very easy to catch however most are complete dinks. I had a few quality brookies closer to the mouth. For the most part I'd park at Aa. Hike downstream as possible and fish your way back. Also hit the bridge by mouth by Mississippi. Very deep. I had a big one swipe at my PM but would not bite a second time.

Eau Galle I've only caught browns, brookies, and chubs. Deep pools by 29 you say? I am intrigued. Ever worm those pools at sunrise/sunset???

@29 8/mile >16" and zero >18" shocked last year. Total browns >12" is only 125/mile. Clearly a lower numbers stream. It is my personal belief shock numbers grossly underestimate large fish. I know from experience. I believe Eau Galle there are a few big boys lurking. Finding them and then getting them to bite is another thing.
-Mark
Board Owner

Trimbeller
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:02:48 PM

Wow! 8000 fish per mile is almost too many! No wonder there all dinks! Only reason I asked is that my parents often go to a farm down in that area that serves wood fire pizza on tuesday nights during the summer, not sure of teh name though?? I just saw it on teh DNR website and figured I could hit that when im down that way. Thanks again for the help.
Mark Dahlquist
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:14:55 AM

Well if you want brook trout dinners go over there. This is the #1 stream for highest brook trout per mile 8." They have to be 8" or larger to keep. This one is 1000/mile 8" brook trout for 2009. It also makes it in the top ten list for streams with the highest number of 10" brookies per mile (55/mile).
-Mark
Board Owner

inland sweep
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:23:49 AM

I am planning on making a trip to either Western Wisconsin or Northeastern Wisconsin within in next couple of weeks. Seeing these types of numbers makes me want to head to Weastern WI.
Mark Dahlquist
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:34:27 AM

I know of a much better stream in Crawford County that I just fished on Saturday. If you want quality brookies, this stream is for you. It is the one I call Beaver Dam Creek. Just email me or PM me, I'll give you the full details including landowner info. Len put me onto this stream and I don't think he would mind another good DTA member like you having a crack at it. Not like you are going to fish it out? Ha ha. LOL 'Dem brook trout streams are so fragile you know...[stir the pot]...

-Mark
Board Owner

Dan_Severson
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:37:50 PM

I was thinking about heading over to Pine Creek later in the summer as well, but i am torn between coming over there or going to SE Wyoming the first week in August. Good to know the fish are there though