Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Onion River (WI) Options
LenH
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:46:54 AM

Close to Milwaukee.....lots of work done....lots of stocking....

The Onion River flows for its entire length in Sheboygan County. It is formed in the town of Lyndon by the confluence of Mill Creek and Ben Nutt Creek, and initially flows southeastwardly, passing the village of Waldo. Near Cedar Grove it turns north-northeastwardly for the remainder of its course. It joins the Sheboygan River at the city of Sheboygan Falls.
Fishing

During the past decade, a number of initiatives have occurred to reclaim and restore the Onion River in hopes of encouraging natural trout populations to increase. The Onion River is the only Class I trout stream in southern Wisconsin, and its natural trout population severely decreased from the levels found during the mid-20th century. In 2008, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources reclassified all of the Onion River from County N upstream as a Class I trout stream, meaning that it contains naturally reproducing wild trout.

A Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources study showed that from 1997 through 2006, the natural trout population of this stretch of the Onion River has increased ten-fold due to these continued efforts. It is expected that this population will continue to increase as further efforts continue on this stretch. In 2011, the Lakeshore Chapter of Trout Unlimited, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Michels Corp. installed lunker structures in six spots along the river, which are expected to minimize erosion and stabilize the habitat for the trout and other wildlife.

here is link

http://en.wikipedia.org/...er_%28Sheboygan_River%29
minnphatts
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:56:04 AM

I've had this river on my list of streams to fish when I'm in the Milwaukee area for some time. I think the driving distance is somewhat similar to BEC depending upon where you live?

The guys at the Fly Fishers gave it a luke warm review when I asked about it. Has anyone tried it out?
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
LenH
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:58:57 AM

minnphatts wrote:
I've had this river on my list of streams to fish when I'm in the Milwaukee area for some time. I think the driving distance is somewhat similar to BEC depending upon where you live?

The guys at the Fly Fishers gave it a luke warm review when I asked about it. Has anyone tried it out?

luke warm review?

Saw a presentation at the Ice Breaker 2 years ago by well known speaker singing its praise.

Fly guys at Milwaukee shop guide there a LOT.

Don't want people stepping on their clients/tips.
D BigTuna
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:24:15 AM

This Stream is where I get my trout fix while I wait till my next trip to the driftless. This is where I fish while Mark and Len post countless pictures of backyard beauties as I sit here and sweat it out til I can make my next three hour drive.. Its the only stream I have in 3 county area where I can hit on a whim after work and still is a twenty minute drive.
Problem: Everyone else in Milwaukee feels the same way. Category 5 upstream from Highway E ,1 over 15 inches all artificial.
Downstream is stocked with dummies and they last a few weeks.This section is super clear and shallow and does have restoration.
I met a guy who has fished it his whole life and kind of chuckled about 1 over 15". In 40 years he hasn't caught one over 15 in that entire stream. If anyone would like to fish it I would meet you at a bridge and we can go. Don't anyone bother getting a guide here , it a tiny drink of a stream. One thing I will say is that its beautiful area and you might get a extra bonus of a trout tugging on your line. Good Luck

Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:33:20 PM

Table 1 shows mean length of adult browns at 10." Would assume this is typical for most trout streams. Does not look that dinky too me based on your photos Tuna. So it is shoulder to shoulder? Milwaukee is big enough to support a few "guides" who teach city slickers how to fly fish.

Look at Figure 1 and Table 1. Upstream of E stations 3 and 4 are the best.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/r...oyganonionriver2004.pdf

Might as well make the best the most restrictive. AO and only one 15"+ trout can be kept.

So 131 trout per 1000 feet is the same as 795 trout per mile.

Lower end like station 1 more like 190 trout/mile. At that low of a density I would think there could be a few big dogs? Or is this just not a very fertile creek, hence the dumping of the stupid stocker bows, more of a play with your food kind of creek? DS of E you can keep and use bait so free trout dinners. Imagine a few holdover bows too. They do exist. I have caught holdover bows where there is consistent stocking.
-Mark
Board Owner

minnphatts
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:02:13 PM

That's the survey that got me interested in the Onion about 5 years ago.

The Fly Fishers "lukewarm" comment was in 2006 and was probably in comparison to BEC and some the the other easternmost Driftless options. I like that shop, the guys there have always been friendly and helpful, in particular for Lake Michigan trib fishing.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a similar effort put into some of the Waukesha county streams I posted a few weeks ago. They're a lot closer to Milwaukee than the Onion.

<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
Mark Dahlquist
#7 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 2:46:53 AM

Lukewarm review or being tight lipped likely means you need to follow your instinct.

Kind of reminds me of our metro trout streams. Valley Creek and Eagle Creek. So close. Right in the Twin Cities. Anybody fished them? Valley has brookies, browns, and rainbows - all three with documented natural reproduction.

I however wonder if early spring might be better as both are really small.
-Mark
Board Owner

Trout_Patzer
#8 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 3:26:17 AM

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Lukewarm review or being tight lipped likely means you need to follow your instinct.

Kind of reminds me of our metro trout streams. Valley Creek and Eagle Creek. So close. Right in the Twin Cities. Anybody fished them? Valley has brookies, browns, and rainbows - all three with documented natural reproduction.

I however wonder if early spring might be better as both are really small.

Fished Valley Creek last year. Caught Browns and "wild" rainbows in the 5 to 7 inch range. HI and NO public access. Feet wet the whole way. Tons of dinks. Won't be going back again any time soon.
D BigTuna
#9 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:04:02 AM

The Silver Springs trout farm was on the onion headwaters and the DNR was able to purchase this land. They said it was rare that they could own "Headwaters" on a stream and I'm sure that was why they restored this stream. I'm sure Milwaukee will get their shot. Its not elbow to elbow but the Parking lot is always full. Most of the people I've talked are doing what I am and that's getting a fix. Down stream is infertile. Funny you mention that because when I fished there last time I was really amazed at the lack of other stream life (minnows, crayfish,bugs). Nothing nada zero for other life. It is best fishing in march, no people no bugs .
mspaddler
#10 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 9:41:42 PM

Thank you Wisconsin. Had a walk down part of the Onion yesterday. One young fish to hand caught on my Tenkara rod. Although we tried hard later with a conventional fly rod and a hopper we couldn't temp anyone. Nice stream.
mspaddler attached the following image(s):
IMG_6413.JPG (442kb) downloaded 100 time(s).