Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trouts  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 4:49:29 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have always assumed the pink represents that weird pinkish orange color of a dead scud. They also are fantastic for catching sunnies. Put them on as a dropper and you can't seem to keep you line on the water they hit so fast.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
D BigTuna  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:08:37 AM(UTC)
D BigTuna

I thought it was the egg theory too. I have done just as well with the same fly with no pink on it so I don't know what to think. 90 % of the fancy colored flies catch fisherman ,the other 10 percent catch fish. I think Mark had the go- to Driftless flies listed here somewhere. About 5 on the list, But what fun would it be to own only 5 flies. I fish the pink squirrel so I know it has caught me.I don't know much about fly fishing so I put one on and I know I should get bit. I think for many its a confidence bait while they build their own style and learn. Does it fall in the 10 %?
For me yes but I sure don't use it like I once did. I like the fall theory as well as someone above mentioned.
drag city  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:47:18 PM(UTC)
drag city

I was at Lund's Fly Shop today after the Kinni cleanup, and the owner Brian reports that he sells more pink squirrels than any other fly hands down. Seemed to think it imitates a scud, but when I asked him at first he just shook his head and said, "I don't think anybody knows, they just know it catches fish." More I think about, though, it seems like lots of good flies imitate a number of different things rather than just one -- plus the pink squirrel has a built-in attractor element.

And D Big Tuna, I agree with you -- I don't think I have it in mean to use the same fly all the time, even if its always caught me fish. The experimentation and challenge of fishing different things in different conditions is too much fun. But I think I'm gonna fish this one for awhile yet nonetheless.
drag city  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:48:55 PM(UTC)
drag city

I was at Lund's Fly Shop today after the Kinni cleanup, and the owner Brian reports that he sells more pink squirrels than any other fly hands down. Seemed to think it imitates a scud, but when I asked him he just shook his head and said, "I don't think anybody knows, they just know it catches fish." More I think about, though, it seems like lots of good flies imitate a number of different things rather than just one -- plus the pink squirrel has a built-in attractor element.

And D Big Tuna, I agree with you -- I don't think I have it in mean to use the same fly all the time, even if its always caught me fish. The experimentation and challenge of fishing different things in different conditions is too much fun. But I think I'm gonna fish this one for awhile yet nonetheless, especially with a smaller, 18 or 20-size pheasant tail dropped off it -- that sounds like a good rig to me.
orvis4wt  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:34:42 PM(UTC)
orvis4wt

I have two ideas that I would like to toss out.
The first, and I have commented on this before, is the egg theory. If you watch the squirrel drift in current it looks like an egg, and as previously stated, trout love thier eggs..

The second. When a scud is carrying eggs, they have a "hot spot" that is typically pink or orange in color. This aspect of the scud life cycle seems to turn trout on. Although the squirrel is fished as an attractor, I wonder if the resemblance to the prego scud is what triggers them to the take. I would be curious to have someone tie an "orange" squirrel to test the theory. I do not tie, yet, but I am in the process of gathering the gear to do so. Once I have the material. I'll give it a go.

My experience, when all else fails, tie the squirrel, catch fish.
Trouts  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:03:11 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I tied up a few with Ice Dub UV Shrimp Pink dubbing. This has an organish pink color to it. Almost as if you crossed the two colors. It works really well, but I don't know if it really made a huge difference. I have pink squirrels tied up with about 5-6 different shades of pink and I have done very well with all of them.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
flyfishingfreak  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:19:38 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

I've done orange, light red and pink, all have worked quite well. I usually stick with the pink though, but i feel that orange would produce pretty much just as well.
trapper  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:51:18 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
When the Avalanche Store was running, they sold more pink squirrels than all the other flys combined. Try the tungston version.
Get Reel
Mark Dahlquist  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 7:12:21 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I agree with the egg pattern and scud theory. I think orange / pink probably close enough in the color spectrum. Funny how pink squirrel was first primarily used as a winter fly and now people seem to love it all season.

One idea that was tossed out there years a go was to think of it as an attractor, something new. Going with this theory I tried the same fly only with fluorescent green ball below the bead head. These flies remain in my box. Trout and even sunfish less crazy about the green than the pink or orange. Maybe the green looks too much like algae slime is all I can think of. For sure the color is key.

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
D BigTuna  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:24:51 AM(UTC)
D BigTuna

Type\ pink lightning bug fly in google and then look at the images .