Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FryinPanDan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:59:49 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:33:15 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Dan I'm sorry the Rush didn't work out. Was it muddy after the rain? Did it rain most of the day Saturday? Cave Creek at 72? So much good water in the area. Did you get any tips on spots before you headed over? At least you did well at more familiar waters.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Trouts  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 5:24:37 AM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sorry the Rush didn't work out. Is the Ellsworth rod and gun club grounds open to the public?
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
Jake Andrle  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 5:42:04 AM(UTC)
Jake Andrle

At my house between Ellsworth and River Falls, we had 2 inches come down between 5am and 10am. We needed the rain, but it put the trout in a funky mood. Good thing the crappies on a local lake cooperated ThumpUp Brook trout were on FIRE last night in some of the small feeders. Usually after a rain the Rush gets tough to fish. The Trimbelle only seems to get better BigGrin
FryinPanDan  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 6:29:14 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

The Ellsworth Rod and Gun club is open to the public for primitive camping. I called and confirmed before hand. They said, "just pick up after yourself". Aside from that jerk beaver, it was a quiet, clean place to camp. Fire rings, picnic tables and even a swing set if you get bored.

Ya, just some bad luck on the Rush, but I was really impressed by how it looked... Oh what could have been..... I did get some really generous tips on the Rush, but should have thought of a plan B. Always think of a plan B!

Yup, Cave from 72. Lovely looking place. Lots of brook trout from what I saw.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
Jake Andrle  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 6:35:13 AM(UTC)
Jake Andrle

FryinPanDan wrote:
The Ellsworth Rod and Gun club is open to the public for primitive camping. I called and confirmed before hand. They said, "just pick up after yourself". Aside from that jerk beaver, it was a quiet, clean place to camp. Fire rings, picnic tables and even a swing set if you get bored.

Ya, just some bad luck on the Rush, but I was really impressed by how it looked... Oh what could have been..... I did get some really generous tips on the Rush, but should have thought of a plan B. Always think of a plan B!

Yup, Cave from 72. Lovely looking place. Lots of brook trout from what I saw.

It is a fun little stream. But I will say this-hte DNR LOVES hiding up there. Not saying anyone will do anything wrong (I haven't), but he'll scare the crap outta you walking out of the bushes Woot How far up Cave did you get? The beaver dams?

FryinPanDan  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 6:46:51 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

It seemed like a ways... The last picture I have in my blog post is about how far I went, if you can recognize the boulder. There was actually a dam (or maybe a log jam that looked like a beaver dam?) right at the beginning. The water was pretty stagnant and foamy, but DEEP.

Another 100 yards along, and there was a very deep area following a long bend to the left in the creek, against a steep rooty bank.

No beaver dams further in though. I probably didn't go far enough.
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage