Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wisconsin DNR Website Options
William Schlafer
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:06:47 AM

It appears that the Wisconsin DNR has updated their website. Old links no longer work.

Here is the link to the new main page for fishing: Wisconsin Department of Natrual Resources - Fishing

Trout Stream Maps have a new link also: Wisconsin Trout Stream Maps

Unfortunately the Fisheries and Managed Areas Mapping link doesn't work, yet. Hopefully they're updating it, as some of the easements shown are no longer accurate, or haven't been revised in awhile.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Mark Dahlquist
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:50:32 PM

The old web site worked just fine. Seems like a waste of money. Plus it's always a bummer when bookmarks no longer work. Oh well. Please share favorite links here for us to re-bookmark here. I do most of my digging on the DNR pages during the winter months anyway...
-Mark
Board Owner

FryinPanDan
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:04:39 PM

Managed lands map is working for me:

http://dnrmaps.wi.gov/DNRManagedLands/

...for now...

Their site still sucks. Hard to get around. I find most of the things I'm looking for on their site though google.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
William Schlafer
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:38:35 PM

I don't like the layout of the new main page much either. It isn't a improvement over the old one, at least. They need to update the Managed Lands database. I've found areas on streams that were marked as public fishing, but don't show up on the interactive map. Glad to see the old link is still working. The one on the main page doesn't work.

What would really be cool is a mobile app for the Managed Lands maps. One that doesn't require a live network connection. Now that I would pay for!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Trout_Patzer
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:11:17 PM

William Schlafer wrote:

What would really be cool is a mobile app for the Managed Lands maps. One that doesn't require a live network connection. Now that I would pay for!

-Bill

Totally agree. I usually just download the fishing regs book as a .pdf on my phone, but the maps are all low res so I can barely read the names and only 2 or so pages of the 16 will scale if you try to expand the size. Adding little shaded lines for easements like MN does would be much appreciated as well rather than having to look in 3 different places for the class, category and then whether an easement is present. Suppose I could download the individual high res maps but the only ones I have found tell me the classification(class 1, 2, 3) not what category(2-5) the streams are.
tdoran
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:41:20 PM

I have no idea what kind of functionality it will have, but I have heard from a friend who works at DNR office in Madison that a mobile app is in the works.