Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 7:40:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
The itch started sometime on Wednesday.

By Thursday, I knew I had to get out and fish.

Time is running out on this season. I can't go on Sunday due to other plans. The weather forecast for Saturday didn't look too appealing: rain and 30 mph wind gusts. The rain I can deal with. High winds really makes casting a fly line no fun at all. The forecast for today also called for rain, but lighter winds. So, I decided to burn another vacation day and run over to one of my favorite streams.

It didn't start raining until I arrived at the stream. And it was much colder than I had anticipated - barely 40 degrees. All I could do is gut it out and see how the fish like the rain.
UserPostedImage

Despite the rain, the fish were feeding aggressively sub-surface. Every other cast was yielding either a follow, a swipe or a strike. I caught dozens in the 10-12" range. The rain drumming on the water made approaches much easier, although it was difficult to see structure and deeper water. It didn't seem to matter too much. A cast to anything that looked like holding water or a pool usually drew a strike.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Pink Squirrels were king again. As Dan had mentioned in another post, the pink material (Chenille?) would often come loose after a number of casts. I left it hanging like this and still caught fish. They didn't seem to care too much. I usually just wrap it back on after it dries out and add a drop of Superglue to hold it together.
UserPostedImage

Best fish of the day, a nice 15" Brown. Nothing but Brown Trout in this stream. I put over 30 fish to hand in four total hours of fishing.
UserPostedImage

Finally, after 3 hours, the rain relented. But by then, the rain had worked it's way past my waterproof jacket and soaked my shirt and pants making it uncomfortable and cold. However, the fish started rising and I caught a few more with Elk Hair Caddis patterns. This trout had a small hard tumor protruding from the corner of it's mouth.
UserPostedImage

This cut under a limestone bluff is home to a number of sizable fish. I want to go back when conditions are better. I bet there are some 20" fish lurking in there.
UserPostedImage

I had slipped on the bank at one point during the rain storm and jarred my lower back. As the day wore on, it started getting stiff and sore. I know from experience to not push a back injury, so I cut the day short and limped back to the car. Too bad, the fish were biting strong. I could have fished for another 3-4 hours otherwise.

Despite the rain, the cold, and my sore back, it was still a great day on the water. Sure hope I can squeeze out one more trip before the season ends next weekend.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
inland sweep  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 7:58:55 PM(UTC)
inland sweep

Good looking creek! What county is that stream in? It doesn't look familiar....
sasquatch  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 8:30:07 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
...nice lookin fish... even the one that has mouth cancer...must chew tobacco, or bite cigarette butts...Laugh

...i think your hunch is correct.... that hole looks like it could hide some serious pigs...i hope your back feels better so you can go back and nail em...ThumpUp
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:24:08 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Interesting report Bill. The unraveled pink squirrel tuft of pink looks like a chunk of crawler. No wonder the fish went wild! LOL

Also the scar on the mouth of the one I bet it was an injury from spinner or rap fisherman years a go when it was much smaller. Cursing It is a gentle reminder for us tackle guys to go easy unhooking the little ones because many do grow up to be bigger sizable fish like this one. At least that is my bet - scar tissue.

The undercut limestone rock looks bomb. Probably a good pool to set up stage for a spawn as well?

As for dinging up your back I hope you feel better soon. It's best not to push it. I'm 40 and fishing a hard 3+ hours wears me out to the point it takes me a couple days to feel back to normal again, catch up on my sleep per say. Is this normal for my age? I know I need to lose some weight... My only exercise.... You guessed it, it's my weekly trout fishing trip.

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:32:17 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
I know I need to lose some weight... My only exercise.... You guessed it, it's my weekly trout fishing trip.

Yeah, me too. Wink

I did one of those things were you slip and then catch yourself. Gave my back a proper tweak. Really feeling it today. But lots of couch rest, football on TV and vitamin B (beer) seems to be help ease the discomfort.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 8:09:41 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I hope you can fish the cut under the bluff before the season ends: it looks as if it's got be holding a few real bruisers. It would be nice to see a photo of a 20+ inch brown next Monday.

The weather affects us a lot more than the fish. Especially in a spring creek; the fish probably are unaware of whether we are risking frostbite or heatstroke to pursue them. I used to only go out in optimal conditions. If the weather wasn't just right, I'd stay home and wait for a better day because it wasn't a long wait. Now that the intervals between outings gets longer and longer due to work and family obligations, I go when I can; the fish don't seem to notice the difference in what I consider perfect or unpleasant conditions.
FryinPanDan  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 8:33:49 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

Just glue the squirrel back up and its ready for battle once again!

I've tried Craig's Pink Squirrels, from Fontana's. They have a bit more flash, and a slightly different shade of pink. Their collars don't fall off the way Bethke's does, but they will fluff out after some use and the look of a coller diminishes...trade-offs right?
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
Coops9309  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 11:17:36 AM(UTC)
Coops9309

I've been tying my pink squirrels with a collar of UV Pink Ice dubbing. Holds together a little better, a similar color, and some nice flash in the collar.

UserPostedImage

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/ice-dub.htm

Greg

Edited by user Monday, September 24, 2012 7:05:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FryinPanDan  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 7:15:51 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

That looks tight Coops. Bet it works great too! I've got all the stuff laying around for fly tying but need to stop fishing long enough to force myself to learn. Maybe this winter....
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 7:28:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

FryinPanDan wrote:
That looks tight Coops. Bet it works great too! I've got all the stuff laying around for fly tying but need to stop fishing long enough to force myself to learn. Maybe this winter....

I can testify about Coops pink colored scuds. He was catching fish when I couldn't with them.

-Bill