Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

WTB: Fly tying gear Options
ilikefood
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 3:30:39 AM

Hello:

I want to make the jump into tying flies. Thought I would check here first to see if anyone has unused tying equipment I could purchase. I will need all of the basics; a decent vise, bobbin, scissors, hackle pliers, and a whip finisher. Any other equipment I need?

Thanks!

David
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
flyfishingfreak
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 8:10:12 AM

you pretty much covered the basic needs, honestly i hardly ever use a hackle pliers, and the whip finisher is convenient, but also not necessary
both are helpful, but if you don't get them right away it will spare you $20 in case you decide fly tying isn't for you.
FishOn
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 2:21:17 PM

Enjoy. Tying flies takes the same time and patience as learning to effectively use a fly rod does. Don't try to tackle too many patterns right off the bat. Pick of few of your favorite nymph patterns and start there. It's a fun undertaking. Nothing more rewarding than catch trout on bugs you tied yourself. It's also nice to not have to run to the fly shop in between every few outings to stock up. Good luck.
Coops9309
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:11:14 PM

I got a kit similar to this when I got started tying: http://tinyurl.com/b9fsdqt

It has served me pretty well - about what you'd expect as far as quality goes for a starter kit, but its good enough to tie serviceable nymphs. Has enough that you can fiddle around and figure out what else you need to tie the flies you want to tie.