Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LenH  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:34:16 AM(UTC)

Fenwick HMG 1178978 GS70MH-MF

UserPostedImage

Fenwick HMG 1178975 GS66MH-F

Putting Shimano Stradic 2500s on each.
Sponsor
ozzyky  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:12:15 PM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

Like it....poor trout are going to stand a chance.....tree roots included BigGrin
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:12:22 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
On the other end of the spectrum... I saw a really cool, 6 1/2 foot, hand built 2W fly rod on the raffle table today at the SWTU Icebreaker event. Thing only weighed 2 ounces, but it felt wonderful in the hand. I would never have considered a 2W rod before I touched that beautiful thing.

I didn't win it (of course) but I did get a nice little box of Caddis flies as a door prize.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
LenH  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 8:13:06 PM(UTC)

William Schlafer wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum... I saw a really cool, 6 1/2 foot, hand built 2W fly rod on the raffle table today at the SWTU Icebreaker event. Thing only weighed 2 ounces, but it felt wonderful in the hand. I would never have considered a 2W rod before I touched that beautiful thing.

I didn't win it (of course) but I did get a nice little box of Caddis flies as a door prize.

-Bill

I know a couple streams with loads of brookies that it would be the cat's meow for.
Woods&Water  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:11:50 PM(UTC)
Woods&Water

Man

LenH wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

I know a couple streams with loads of brookies that it would be the cat's meow for.

Where is the like button?!
LenH  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:27:13 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Woods& Go to Quoted Post
LenH wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

Where is the like button?!

one of the streams is loaded with lots of smallish brookies but there are some sleepers in there. I also noticed a new beaver dam on it 2 weeks ago near the head water. I believe a good nympher could have a 100 brookie afternoon. Maybe even a couple doubles.
brook1619  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:05:27 PM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

How does the Fenwick Eagle GT ($59.99) compare to the HMX ($79.99) or HMG (99.99). Is it worth spending the extra 20 or 40 dollars? If this helps, I am fishing 3-4 times a week once the season gets rolling. I mainly use St. Croix rods (Triumph and Premier), but I am always looking for new trout gear to try.
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
LenH  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:25:59 PM(UTC)

any of the rods you said will work fine...no need to spend too much.
flyfishingfreak  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:26:28 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

brook1619 wrote:
How does the Fenwick Eagle GT ($59.99) compare to the HMX ($79.99) or HMG (99.99). Is it worth spending the extra 20 or 40 dollars? If this helps, I am fishing 3-4 times a week once the season gets rolling. I mainly use St. Croix rods (Triumph and Premier), but I am always looking for new trout gear to try.

I have an HMG, HMX and an eagle GT, all are good rods, i can't say exactly which one i like the most, as they are three completely different rods, (I.E. ultra light, medium and a medium casting rod) i love all three though, and i'm sure you won't be dissappointed with any of the three. I also love so St. Croix rods.
kfish  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:30:19 PM(UTC)
kfish

Man

Ever try the St. Croix eyecons? They were designed for walleye but work fantastic for trout also.A little more expensive but imo well worth the difference at about $110.My go to is a 7' med-lite fast action.Ultra sensitive but beefy enough for big fish.Paired with Stradic 1500 and 4 or 6lb fireline the performance is incredible.
Oh yeah,and a 5 yr warranty.Send it back in pieces and they will send you a new one.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:33:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified