Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Verona/Madison area Options
EyesOnTheBay
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:55:25 AM

Hi,

I just moved down to the Belleville/Verona/Madison area about a year ago. I'm big on walleye/bass/pike fishing in Northern Wisconsin but started trying my hand last year on inland stream fishing. My wife's family has a farm on the Sugar River and that has been where I have been fishing for trout and a good trip for me is 2-3 small trout but I would like to fan out to other streams but I don't really have any idea of where to go to. Anybody have any advice on streams? I mostly use panther martin spinners and rapalas. I understand if you leave out particular pools and such.

Thanks for the help!
LenH
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:11:14 AM

my buddy Chien is from Verona and knows the area.

shoot him an email.

gohryu2004@gmail.com

Tell him Len gave you the email address.
EyesOnTheBay
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:31:27 AM

Thank you!
curtR32
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:19:20 PM

There are some big Browns in the Sugar...you just need to find them. What part have you been fishing? Have you tried Black Earth Creek out by Cross Plains?

I live in Madison so I've fished most of the streams in the area. How close to Verona do you want to stay?

In regards to the panther martins, what size are you using?
inland sweep
#5 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 1:16:00 AM

I also live in the area.
I can help point you in the right direction if needed.
mr89ia
#6 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 4:32:54 PM

hey inland and curt, either of you guys fly fishers? if so recommend any streams over others? i am going to spend all day tomorrow exploring streams, but if you have any for me scratch off the list right away that would be great.
LenH
#7 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:19:09 PM

mr89ia wrote:
hey inland and curt, either of you guys fly fishers? if so recommend any streams over others? i am going to spend all day tomorrow exploring streams, but if you have any for me scratch off the list right away that would be great.

streams won't be fishable tomorrow and will be too high to really access them properly.

I will be wandering on Monday....if you are off....we can wander?
curtR32
#8 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:32:31 PM

I'm a fly fisherman as of last Friday. Before than, all I threw was Panther Martins. None the less, there are some good streams around here for fly fishing. I would check out the bottom part of BEC. It tends to wind through fields so you don't have to worry about trees and submerged limbs. Sugar River after it meets with Badger Mill Creek is pretty open too. At least the river is rather wide and shallow in most places.

All in all, I would just trust LenH. He probably knows the best places around.
mr89ia
#9 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 6:51:38 PM

LenH wrote:
mr89ia wrote:

streams won't be fishable tomorrow and will be too high to really access them properly.

I will be wandering on Monday....if you are off....we can wander?

EYYYYYYYYYY thats just great... first weekend off in months... well plans changed, will save the gas for another trip.

Len, on a normal week, I would say yes. Unfortunately, I have to take Friday off already to head home so I can't afford to take anymore time off...
mr89ia
#10 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:06:04 PM

curtR32 wrote:
I'm a fly fisherman as of last Friday. Before than, all I threw was Panther Martins. None the less, there are some good streams around here for fly fishing. I would check out the bottom part of BEC. It tends to wind through fields so you don't have to worry about trees and submerged limbs. Sugar River after it meets with Badger Mill Creek is pretty open too. At least the river is rather wide and shallow in most places.

All in all, I would just trust LenH. He probably knows the best places around.

I hear thats some good advice. I will check those places out in the coming weeks. Thanks for the advice.