Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Verona/Madison area Options
inland sweep
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:48:43 AM

Streams in western Dane are still high but I have to say I am shock to see how fast they are clearing........ Might head out Sunday if anyone wants to come along and fish the BEC. I am hoping the will be just slightly off color by than. I Will also give a report what things look like tomorrow afternoon.
CSB63
#12 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 1:34:14 AM

EyesOnTheBay wrote:
Hi,

I just moved down to the Belleville/Verona/Madison area about a year ago. I'm big on walleye/bass/pike fishing in Northern Wisconsin but started trying my hand last year on inland stream fishing. My wife's family has a farm on the Sugar River and that has been where I have been fishing for trout and a good trip for me is 2-3 small trout but I would like to fan out to other streams but I don't really have any idea of where to go to. Anybody have any advice on streams? I mostly use panther martin spinners and rapalas. I understand if you leave out particular pools and such.

Thanks for the help!

I live 3 blocks from the Black Earth creek in Crossplains and used to live in Belleville go on 69 where the sugar river winds right next to the road the hole there is deep but not so many fish. fish down stream from there some really nice holes and huge browns you can also try in front of the Dam browns and brookies like to hang out in the pools and you occasionally catch very nice Smallmouths
EyesOnTheBay
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:37:59 PM

curtR32 wrote:
There are some big Browns in the Sugar...you just need to find them. What part have you been fishing? Have you tried Black Earth Creek out by Cross Plains?

I live in Madison so I've fished most of the streams in the area. How close to Verona do you want to stay?

In regards to the panther martins, what size are you using?

Sorry about the lack of response. We just moved apartments and finally got the internet setup. I'm been fishing the Sugar River near Hwy A in between Verona/Belleville. I'd like to stay within an hour of Verona if at all possible. I've used 4-8 for sizes of panther martins.
donjuan
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:07:27 AM

My friend caught this decent upper teens brown when we fished the Sugar a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was the only fish we got in about 1.5 hours. I usually fish the Sugar more but that's the only time I've been there this year. Per his reports, it's been quite slow on the Sugar so far this year.

minnphatts
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:02:27 PM

donjuan wrote:
My friend caught this decent upper teens brown when we fished the Sugar a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was the only fish we got in about 1.5 hours. I usually fish the Sugar more but that's the only time I've been there this year. Per his reports, it's been quite slow on the Sugar so far this year.

Does the Sugar tend to consistently produce for you? Low numbers stream? Looks like it holds some decent fish.

I've thought about hitting it when I'm in the area, but never tried it.
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
curtR32
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:06:25 PM

There are definitely fish in it but they are smart. I have yet to hook into one this year but I had some moderate success last year. Nothing too special. If I were to pick between the Sugar and BEC, I would pick BEC all day.
Jackie Treehorn
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:45:33 PM

curtR32 wrote:
There are definitely fish in it but they are smart. I have yet to hook into one this year but I had some moderate success last year. Nothing too special. If I were to pick between the Sugar and BEC, I would pick BEC all day.

Agreed. There are big fish to be had on the sugar and it can be very rewarding some days but not near the amount of fish as in BEC in my opinion. But I've been seriously thinking about investing in a decent one-man fishing pontoon and floating some of the larger creeks and rivers in the area, the sugar would be ideal for this you would think. And floating for smallmouth in the heat of the summer would not be a bad option either.
curtR32
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:16:06 PM

I've actually been considering the same thing. I found a nice Angler Kayak online for about $450. The Sugar River is actually pretty popular in summer with kayakers so there is no reason you couldn't fish while floating too.
EyesOnTheBay
#19 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:16:22 PM

donjuan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is the same section of the river that I fish at. My father-in-law has a farm right there. I went on Wednesday and had 2 12in fish on but both unhooked before I could use the net.
Jackie Treehorn
#20 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 6:32:02 PM

Finally managed to sneak away to western Dane for a few hours in the rain yesterday. I love fishing in a light rain and clouds, the fish always seem to cooperate more. Which was indeed the case today. Fished for a few hours (1-3) with action from start to finish. Bringing at least 15 to hand I'm guessing. All were browns 13-15" but lost the fish of my season so far right at my feet! And that's the second time I've had him on this year!! Hooked him in the same exact spot a month ago. Definitely bringing a net next time. Not sure when I'll get out next but this trip sure gives me the itch to get out again soon. Beautiful time of year!

Caught most of the fish outta this one hole.

Caught a majority of them on an olive copper john(#16), and a couple on a worm. Didn't see many bugs on account of the rain but I figured that an olive copper john is a good pattern for both BWO's and caddis larva.