Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Verona/Madison area Options
rburt
#21 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:47:15 PM

Hello all
I just found and joined this site, what a fantastic resource for anglers in our area! Since I'm new here, I hope you wouldn't mind helping a new member out? (I've taken a few notes from this thread as well.) I'm on the west side of Madison and am looking for a few good starting spots this summer in west Dane or east Iowa counties. I've had limited luck on the Sugar, Mt Vernon and and Kittleson creeks over the past few year. Would anyone mind sharing a few pointer? I mostly fish by myself, so your advice stays here :)
I mostly catch and release, the exception for one for the frying pan that evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and good luck this year!
rburt
LenH
#22 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:52:55 PM

This place likes to share.

Most of the sharing is done on PMs.

Just sit down and take your shoes off for a while and get to know everyone.

Friends and information will be shared.

taylor16
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 4:49:05 PM

Hello- I posted in the new members thread about recently moving to Madison and would be extremely appreciative of any helpful suggestions on where to go to start exploring my new terrain. Coming from the Decorah area of Iowa, I know many of the streams quite well. Always hard to move somewhere new and figure it all out on your own again.
William Schlafer
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 6:55:54 PM

taylor16 wrote:
Hello- I posted in the new members thread about recently moving to Madison and would be extremely appreciative of any helpful suggestions on where to go to start exploring my new terrain. Coming from the Decorah area of Iowa, I know many of the streams quite well. Always hard to move somewhere new and figure it all out on your own again.

Welcome to DTA Taylor!

There are some nice Trout streams within an easy drive of Madison to the West and Southwest. Black Earth Creek, Trout Creek, The Sugar River and Mount Vernon Creek in Dane County. Further West in Iowa and Grant county are The Blue River, Big Springs Branch, Big Green and Castle Rock. These are some of the more popular (and also heaviest fished) streams in the area, but there are a bunch of other less known streams nearby that are worth exploring.

There are also some streams South of Hwy 18 that have some Trout. But the very best streams in the DA (IMHO) are in Crawford, Vernon, and Richland counties to the north-west. A longer drive from Madison, but worth the trip.

Be sure to check out the WDNR Mapping Application which shows what streams have public easements or have access through publicly owned lands. There are also Trout Stream Maps on the WDNR website that can give you an idea of stream quality by class ratings.

Stop by Fontana Sports in Madison and look up Craig Amacker. He can also help steer you in the right direction and provide guiding services. If in Viroqua, check out The Driftless Angler Fly Shop. One of the best in the area and surrounded by hundreds of miles of prime Trout streams.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 9:38:02 PM

Welcome Taylor

With mention of knowledge of many streams around Decorah, I assume you do not need to pay for a guide because you already know how to Trout fish.
Come to the next Trapfest and meet a few folks from this board. Inside camping is cheap and so is the gas to get here from Madison
Get Reel

briz
#26 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2016 2:58:12 PM

Last couple weeks I haven't had time to get further out in the DA to some of my favorite areas. But I have time for short walks along some Dane Co streams. Some days were good, some days were fishless, some streams are just packed with fish, some streams are just packed with people, while others see hardly anyone, and there are large trout a short drive from Madison.

SquareEgg
#27 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2016 7:48:51 PM

Yesterday was my first time fishing Dane Co. Beautiful weather, slow fishing.
Black Earth creek was different than what I am used to, seemed like the creek was *made* for streamer fishing. I probed a size 10 black "baby bugger" with my 4 wt line/rod.
Mt. Vernon creek is beautiful. Walked a small part of Garfoot- does anybody know much about this creek?

Anyway this was the only fish of the day- it kept me happy enough to still be smiling about it this morning.
Note she is missing both pectoral fins, and her right pelvic fin. Has anyone else seen this before on an older fish? I was surprised she has survived as long as she has with her handicap.

EddieRivard
#28 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2016 8:03:20 PM

SquareEgg wrote:

Note she is missing both pectoral fins, and her right pelvic fin. Has anyone else seen this before on an older fish? I was surprised she has survived as long as she has with her handicap.

Oftentimes I will cut a random fin off of a trout before releasing it so I can recognize it when I catch it again. ThumpUp
shebs
#29 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2016 8:24:24 PM

SquareEgg wrote:

Anyway this was the only fish of the day- it kept me happy enough to still be smiling about it this morning.

Broodstock, maybe? The remaining fins look a bit beat up as well.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
DanE
#30 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2016 10:04:45 PM

Just a quick note to the folks that are new to the area, and a reminder for those of us who have lived here forever. If you plan to fish Black Earth Creek and then other area creeks after, make sure you clean your gear extremely well, as BEC has the New Zealand Mud Snails. Or if you are like me, just dedicate an old pair of wading boots solely for BEC to avoid transferring those nasty little environment killers. ThumpUp