Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
Verona/Madison area Options
Mark Dahlquist
#31 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 12:34:48 AM

Quote:
Oftentimes I will cut a random fin off of a trout before releasing it so I can recognize it when I catch it again

And I thought I was the only one. Great minds think alike.
-Mark
Board Owner

donjuan
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 6:10:38 AM

briz wrote:

Nice!
donjuan
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 6:13:15 AM

SquareEgg wrote:
Yesterday was my first time fishing Dane Co. Beautiful weather, slow fishing.
Black Earth creek was different than what I am used to, seemed like the creek was *made* for streamer fishing. I probed a size 10 black "baby bugger" with my 4 wt line/rod.
Mt. Vernon creek is beautiful. Walked a small part of Garfoot- does anybody know much about this creek?

Anyway this was the only fish of the day- it kept me happy enough to still be smiling about it this morning.
Note she is missing both pectoral fins, and her right pelvic fin. Has anyone else seen this before on an older fish? I was surprised she has survived as long as she has with her handicap.

Not sure which stream this came from, but Mt. Vernon has been stocked with broodstock brooks in the recent past, as well as a few other streams in the area. Certainly fits the description.
William Schlafer
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 2:18:19 PM

donjuan wrote:

Not sure which stream this came from, but Mt. Vernon has been stocked with broodstock brooks in the recent past, as well as a few other streams in the area. Certainly fits the description.

That is correct. A lot of HR work has been done on Garfoot and Vermont Creek as well as stocking to help bolster up Black Earth Creek. BEC has had a downturn the last couple of years (due to harsh winters and man made issues) - but it appears to be on the rebound. It gets a ton of fishing pressure, due to it's proximity to Madison. I drive by it on my way home from DA fishing trips, there are always cars parked at the access points. The stream is difficult to wade and by summer can get weed choked. The better fishermen always seem to pull some lunkers out every season though.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
briz
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:08:30 PM

Was at work one morning super stressed and things weren't getting better Angry. Also had a plane to catch in 3 hours for an uninspiring work trip to ohio. "Boss I have an appointment and have to go, see you at the airport" Free with not much time to kill I headed out for my appointment on a small CLII stream.
Found three dane co brookies, the fingerlings dropped last year have grown

and a couple feisty brown

Rushed to airport changing back into work clothes on the way, but the day had turned all because of a trout fishing.