Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Morel Mushrooms For Sale-$15-20/lb Options
Jake Andrle
#1 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:30:49 PM

So last year I really got into morel hunting, and this year I would like to try and sell some. If interested in getting on a list for orders (first name on list gets filled, then the next and so on). $15/lb for yellows and $20/lb for grays. I will NOT short you of an order and these will be fresh mushrooms straight from the woods. Delivery anywhere in the metro/western Wisconsin for no charge. All money made will be donated to my college tuition fund for next fall! My name is Jake Andrle, contact me through PM or email at jacob.andrle@my.uwrf.edu. Thanks guys!
trapper
#2 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 10:33:45 PM

DTA members in the upper Driftless: Help support. This is a very reasonable price. Down here in the heart of the wisco Driftless, Morel's sell for $20 plus per pound.
Get Reel

inland sweep
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:51:59 AM

good price! for sure but college payment is better.

Im hoping for some warmer spring rains. Could be a great year for some shroomssssss...
Mark Dahlquist
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:02:17 AM

Cool Jake. How far off are we from morel season would you guess? Everything seems delayed by several weeks due to this long winter. Jake joe many pounds do you think you can harvest? I've never eaten morels before, put me on your list for a pound.
-Mark
Board Owner

brook1619
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:26:23 PM

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Cool Jake. How far off are we from morel season would you guess? Everything seems delayed by several weeks due to this long winter. Jake joe many pounds do you think you can harvest? I've never eaten morels before, put me on your list for a pound.

Mark, Morel's are absolutely amazing! I too, will be hitting the woods in search of some morels. My dad started picking when he was a kid and taught us when and where to look for them. Jake I would look into the Farmer's Markets in the area. A family I grew up next to has an organic garden on their property and their main source of income is selling to the Twin Cities folks.
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
ilikefood
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:42:41 PM

Jake, that is a good price, maybe too good. Not to get all econ/business on you, but why don't you wait until the season arrives before you set the price? Supply and demand. I have seen these go for up to $30 per pound on craigslist.

A couple years ago I talked to Whole Earth Grocery about selling to them. They said they probably would buy them. Make sure you stop in before season to get the right contact information for the buyer and then give them a call. They might be a good buyer simply because they might purchase more than any other single buyer.

Good luck picking and selling them this year Jake!

Mark - yes, the season will probably be late this year. When they pop seems to depend on soil temperature. One rule of thumb is to start looking when the lilacs are just starting to bloom another sign used by some is to hunt when the oak leaves are the size of squirrel ears.

I agree that morels are good tasting mushrooms. I believe, however, that there are other wild mushrooms are taste just as good but aren't as popular to pick or eat.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
Mark Dahlquist
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:08:56 PM

Quote:
One rule of thumb is to start looking when the lilacs are just starting to bloom another sign used by some is to hunt when the oak leaves are the size of squirrel ears.

Interesting. I'd be up for a morel and brook trout adventure sometime. Snowing here now... Maybe the lilacs will blooom in June this year? LOL

-Mark
Board Owner

ozzyky
#8 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 12:01:08 AM

I think a plate of them at Shady Grove last year went for $15.00. (probably a 1/4 of a pound if that) They were good but no as good as when you pick them and prepare them yourself. Good luck on the hunt Jake. At least we have the moisture to get them started once we warm up in July. BigGrin
Jake Andrle
#9 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 2:06:08 AM

ozzyky wrote:
I think a plate of them at Shady Grove last year went for $15.00. (probably a 1/4 of a pound if that) They were good but no as good as when you pick them and prepare them yourself. Good luck on the hunt Jake. At least we have the moisture to get them started once we warm up in July. BigGrin

Looking at the long term forecast by May 15th they should really be popping up. The frost is naturally pulling out of the ground despite the little snow cover left. I cannot WAIT to get out there wandering those hillsides to find the first ones!
LenH
#10 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 2:47:33 AM

what do you wear to keep ticks off you?