Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Story Creek Options
brooktrout26
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:29:09 PM

Hello all!

Just found this site, great stuff! Anyways, I spent all morning working stretches of Story Creek in Dane co. with little to no luck. I was curious how others fished it as I found it to be a difficult stream to... do anything to (trecking through marsh, getting hung up in trees, deep swift current, yadda yadda yadda....Sad ). I probably wasn't throwing the right set up (dry caddis) due to being so deep, but I could use a few pointers. I fished upstream from county X, and off the Alpine rd. lot. Any input would be great as I am sure there are others out there who are curious like me. Beautiful morning though that's for sure Smile

Thanks,
BrookTrout26
LenH
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:36:33 PM

fished story creek twice when i lived down there.

all the building of homes down there caused serious silt in the water.

I did poorly both times and wrote the stream off.
brooktrout26
#3 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:59:56 AM

Yah I ended up literally balls deep in muck at one point, thought I was a goner haha
donjuan
#4 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 5:05:56 AM

I've spent minimal time there but had similar experiences. Very difficult to fish. Best suggestions seem to be to fish it as early in the year as possible and don't bother trying to wade (at least for the stretches near Alpine). Per DNR survey, has a good population of nice browns, but to me it doesn't rate real highly on the effort vs. enjoyment scale.
Jackie Treehorn
#5 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:34:08 PM

Story is a tough little creek. I get there about 2-3 times every spring because it's close. Definitely not a destination stream. Best fished in the early season. I've mainly fished the upper sections around Alpine as well and there is no riffle what so ever. Very similar to some sand county streams, narrow and deep. Downstream from 92 the water opens up a bit providing a little more structure and pools. They de-brushed it the Alpine area several years ago but the tag alder unfortunately seems to be thriving again. Not one of those places you can make long delicate casts. A stealthy approach can be rewarding though. I've caught some of my biggest brookies outta there (up to 15") and had some really nice browns follow my streamers but unfortunately never bit.
madguy30
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:05:07 PM

Was thinking of this thread, and thought I'd update in case anyone was thinking of trying Story.

Was there last week. That stream has changed a lot in 4 years. Only fish I saw were some suckers and about a 2 foot long northern--I assume it wandered up from the Sugar. Gonna guess there's not many trout.

Used to be able to get a couple of browns out of most corners/holes. Strange.