Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kingfisher  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:47:53 PM(UTC)
Kingfisher

Man

I woke up early this morning and decided to head down to Hay Creek rather than the lower Kinni like I was thinking last night. I was worried about the water condition and I am so unfamilar with the kinni that the familiarity of Hay seemed a better option. I was on the water at 6:00. It was stained, I couldn't see more than a few inches down, but it wasn't thick muddy so I pressed on. I hiked upstream a little ways past the farm with the friendly horses. It was raining a little but about 10 minutes in I landed a nice little brown.

UserPostedImage

I ended up getting 9 or 10 to hand, the largest being about 14". I did have one on that came out from under a bank and just slammed my fly. I had him on for a while but he got off. I'll be back for him later!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
This bat's radar must have missed the barbed wire strung across the creek

I had some time before I had to get home and decided to cross over to WI and see if I could get some brookies for lunch. The creek was running clear and cold. I have a leak in the left foot of my waders. I'm getting tired of fishing with a cold left foot! I got a few small ones and did land this 9" beauty. She was delicious!

UserPostedImage

Just before I had to get out I caught another tiger in the same place I got one a few weeks ago! I was tempted to stop in Farmington on the way home to see if I could quick get a rainbow to complete a driftless trout slam. Alas, I had to get home so my wife could get our daughter to the doctor. I was a little wet and cold, but had a nice few hours on the water.

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:23:43 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Your distinctive black rubber glove reminds me of rubber man in the first season of American Horror Story. Was it cold or you just prefer gloves? I'm just curious. Not trying to pick on you.

Two tigers in one year? You are on a roll. Been trout fishing since 1994 and still no tiger for me.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Kingfisher  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:55:24 PM(UTC)
Kingfisher

Man

It was chilly early in the morning. During winter season I wear some neoprene gloves. The ones I wore today were light gloves I snagged from work. They aren't waterproof, just on to take the chill off. Yeah, I can't believe my luck with those tigers. Unreal.
ilikefood  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:55:53 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Beautiful brookie and tiger! Is the brookie in your avatar from the same creek? Two in one year (so far) is almost a record. Congrats! I have yet to catch my first tiger.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
flyfishingfreak  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:48:43 AM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

not a bad day! beautiful tiger!ThumpUp

Post a picture of your first one in here too!
Kingfisher  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 6:02:12 PM(UTC)
Kingfisher

Man

flyfishingfreak wrote:
not a bad day! beautiful tiger!ThumpUp

Post a picture of your first one in here too!

http://www.driftlesstrou...stst3098_420--Tiger.aspx

Two of the tigers were from the same little hole just up from a bridge. The other was just up another 20 yards. Crazy year. I didn't get a pic of the other one I caught after I got the first one because as I was getting the camera it slipped from my hand.

Edited by user Friday, May 24, 2013 6:05:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

phantom  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:28:31 AM(UTC)
phantom

Man

Beautiful fish, this is my first time hearing of these "tigers". Very cool. Need to try Tenkara soon as well. Thanks for sharing.
outdoorbobby  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:09:14 PM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Awesome Tiger man!
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."