Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
homebrewerdude  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:16:28 AM(UTC)
homebrewerdude

I was out last week and still did pretty good with a wooly bugger in the early morning.... is this typical for July? I always though of protein patterns as early and late season but they still seem productive this year. I haven't ever fished streamers during this time of year so I don't have a benchmark.

thoughts from the borg collective? do streamers work all year during early and late hours?
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:20:43 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Yes! I have had very good days (numbers wise) tossing buggers mid day in July and August. Fish still like getting a big meal in the heat of summer, often they just don't move as far to get it. I like to think about it as being very similar to winter fishing. Only they are sluggish for the opposite reason.
Richie  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:55:32 PM(UTC)
Richie

homebrewerdude wrote:
I was out last week and still did pretty good with a wooly bugger in the early morning.... is this typical for July? I always though of protein patterns as early and late season but they still seem productive this year. I haven't ever fished streamers during this time of year so I don't have a benchmark.

thoughts from the borg collective? do streamers work all year during early and late hours?

Streamers work throughout the summer so do not let the temperature dictate what fly you're using. Even though the air temperature can be hot, the water temp stays relatively cool due to the high volume of springs in the area. Keep throwing those big flies and you'll connect with a fish that has shoulders.