Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RiparianRights  
#61 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 8:10:28 AM(UTC)
RiparianRights

In Minnesota the beds of navigable streams and bodies of water (read submerged land) are owned by the state in trust for the public up to the water's edge regardless of how high or low. The land owner has the ability to exclude you from the land, although how he does it is another matter. In non-navigable waters, the landowner typically owns the submerged land--so you could boat on it but not stand on it??? The test of navigation is via boat--canoes and kayaks counting as such.

It's an interesting question. I spent many years studying riparian rights in MN when confronted with an over-reaching municipality.
NBrevitz  
#62 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 9:56:49 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
If the stream is designated trout water, you're legal. Also, if the stream is navigable, even if only during spring floods, you're legal. I've learned to not take any shit when landowners approach me, as I always keep my feet wet.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:28:05 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
If the stream is designated trout water, you're legal. Also, if the stream is navigable, even if only during spring floods, you're legal. I've learned to not take any shit when landowners approach me, as I always keep my feet wet.

I'm always eagerly waiting to give a landowner a lesson on Wisconsin's stream access laws. Some have no clue at all.
William Schlafer  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:23:19 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Guillermo wrote:
I'm always eagerly waiting to give a landowner a lesson on Wisconsin's stream access laws. Some have no clue at all.

You would be surprised how many law enforcement officers don't know the stream access laws either. I once talked to a (Wisconsin) deputy Sheriff about it, he felt that anyone on private land without permission (including the stream) would be trespassing. To his credit, he did say he would look into it.

I keep a copy of the stream access law in my vest, just in case I need to explain my rights. But normally I just look for a different stream to fish whenever there's a grumpy land owner about. These days, you just don't want to push people too much. Bad things can happen.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:26:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos