Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
B-Mac  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:21:27 AM(UTC)
B-Mac

Man

Which means I will probably stop and buy a MN license tonight and creates 2 questions:

1.) Does pretty much the entire Whitewater and the related forks have easements? I spent some time down there and everything I saw looked like state land so I wanted to see if there are areas I need to be aware that are private?

2.) Who's coming with me this weekend?
"The f*cking ego of these bloggers"
Sponsor
alvollmer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:25:38 AM(UTC)
alvollmer

The Minnesota DNR has put together a bevy of great information on designated trout streams, seasons, bag limits, and easements, in both digital and print form. Their website offers a nice one-stop directory of everything you'll need to know.

http://dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/index.html

But yes, the majority of the Whitewater system is not only located in State owned/managed lands, and a great deal of water not in public ownership, has easements.

Edited by user Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:27:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

outdoorbobby  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:38:16 PM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

B-Mac wrote:
Which means I will probably stop and buy a MN license tonight and creates 2 questions:

1.) Does pretty much the entire Whitewater and the related forks have easements? I spent some time down there and everything I saw looked like state land so I wanted to see if there are areas I need to be aware that are private?

I am nymphing the Whitewater this weekend.
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:40:45 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

outdoorbobby wrote:
B-Mac wrote:

Which section? If the weather holds, you should do well.
outdoorbobby  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:42:57 PM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
outdoorbobby wrote:
B-Mac wrote:

Which section? If the weather holds, you should do well.

I've never been there before... The middle whitewater looks intriguing!
B-Mac where were you thinking?
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
B-Mac  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:35:23 PM(UTC)
B-Mac

Man

I think im just going to drive to Elba, get out of the car, spin around 10 times and fish in whatever direction I fall over.
TroutEmik  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:49:46 PM(UTC)
TroutEmik

You should be good to go pretty much anywhere on the Whitewater. The water in the park and then coming out towards Elba always was good to me. The north branch is good too!

I'm jealous...would love to head down and fish. The drive from St.Cloud is just a little to long for a day trip.

Please provide a great story when you return.
kschaefer3  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 7:21:23 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

B-Mac wrote:
I think im just going to drive to Elba, get out of the car, spin around 10 times and fish in whatever direction I fall over.
LOL I think that's the best plan!
B-Mac  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:25:07 PM(UTC)
B-Mac

Man

After running a few errands I finally made it on the water by about 11:45. I ended up getting two on a streamer. And by getting, I mean within arms reach before the first one broke me off on a stick and the second one shook off at my feet. Neither fish would have eclipsed 13 inches, but it was still nice to get on the water for a bit and not have a complete freeze out.

If you look at the first picture you'll see a nice pocket off to the left. My fly had just hit the water and a fish swirled on it, inhaling the bait and hooking up. I got cocky thinking I could bring it between the those two snow covered islands. I just about had it through the gap when I made the mistake of letting up enough slack to allow it to get buried in the sticks below the snow hump on the right. It was an epic battle for a 13 inch fish, that I ultimately lost.

UserPostedImage

Someone really wanted to mark his area

UserPostedImage

Thankfully whenever I buy a lure or fly, I always get two just in case...

UserPostedImage