Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:45:17 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Obviously it's cold. It's January in Wisconsin after all and I'd expect nothing less. But how much precipitation has there been? For those of you in the Driftless and those closer to Eau Claire too, is there a lot of snow cover? I'm just wondering if it will be enought to replenish the springs so there is adequate flow of cold water during the heat of July and August. Thoughts of drifting hoppers and ripping streamers 4-5 months from now is about all that's keeping me from going out of my mind.
Sponsor
MikeJuran  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:39:48 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Pete wrote:
Obviously it's cold. It's January in Wisconsin after all and I'd expect nothing less. But how much precipitation has there been? For those of you in the Driftless and those closer to Eau Claire too, is there a lot of snow cover? I'm just wondering if it will be enought to replenish the springs so there is adequate flow of cold water during the heat of July and August. Thoughts of drifting hoppers and ripping streamers 4-5 months from now is about all that's keeping me from going out of my mind.

Pete, I have 9" on the ground outside my office in La Crosse right now. All accumulated in a bunch of minor clipper storms between the artic cold periods... I think water levels all last year were pretty good overall here ... We had some heat spells (i recall Trapper saying he swam with the labs in the West Fork of the Kickapoo) that heated certain streams ... but the spring fed streams did pretty well all summer for water and temp. 9" isn't alot, but we have had winters here with less at this stage ..... and we are probably due for one of those March whoppers. So my non-scientific opinion is that we are in good shape thus far ... And March cannot come soon enough.

I had 4 trips to IA in from Jan 1 - Jan 31 last year .... i have ZERO trips this year .... stir crazy ....

mj

Edited by user Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:41:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
kschaefer3  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:05:04 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Pete wrote:
Thoughts of drifting hoppers and ripping streamers 4-5 months from now is about all that's keeping me from going out of my mind.

I'm not sure if this is keeping me from going out of my mind, or making me lose my mind. I'm in the same boat though.

MikeJuran wrote:
I had 4 trips to IA in from Jan 1 - Jan 31 last year .... i have ZERO trips this year .... stir crazy ....

I fished every weekend (less maybe 2) from January - May last year. I have fished twice so far this year, and it's not looking good for the next couple weeks. Yes, stir crazy just starts to explain it for me.
trapper  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:13:48 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Concern your rain/snow thoughts to when the ground is not frozen. Water must perculate first, before it comes out at springs.

Central Vernon Cty has plenty of snow/ice on the ground now. Enough that I can not get into the woods to work-even with my truck and chains..

Total withdrawl and it SUCKS. I did do some snow casting with my 6 1/2 ft, 6 wt glass rod, I sure like that thingThumpUp
Get Reel
redneckdan  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 7:22:13 AM(UTC)
redneckdan

Man

Yup, lots of snow casting here.

My wicked tailing loop came back. Probably due to all the stress at work lately... Blushing
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:59:02 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Here's the National Weather Service snow depth map (not including today's snowfall):

UserPostedImage

The northern half of Wisconsin has seen extended drought conditions, so the heavy snowpack there should help. The southern half has also had very dry conditions in 2012, but last year saw some heavier than normal rainfall. In June heavy rains caused considerable flooding around the lower Wisconsin river watershed. Several Trout streams in Iowa and Grant counties were heavily damaged.

What we need is a nice slow melt off in the spring to minimize flooding and allow that moisture to find it's way into the aquifer to replenish the springs that are essential for Trout stream health.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MNFishhunter  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:02:27 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

It's warm enough for black midges and stoneflies on the streams today!
redneckdan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:53:00 PM(UTC)
redneckdan

Man

10 day forecast is looking good. Too bad this propane price hike kicked me in the sack. Pretty well killed the fun budget for the next several months.
MikeJuran  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:28:07 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

redneckdan wrote:
10 day forecast is looking good. Too bad this propane price hike kicked me in the sack. Pretty well killed the fun budget for the next several months.

no shit on the propane deal .... house we are building in Chaseburg filled first time for $750 ..... bill last week was $1,600 .... budget killers for sure ...
Fly Me A River
Jeff  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:51:54 AM(UTC)
Jeff

Hi folk I am new to the area this year. Have spent most of my time fishing the streams around lake superior, steel mostly. This year my wife and I find our selves living in the driftless area and I'm looking forward to fishing some of the waters in these wonderful hills.

Best of luck

Jeff