Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:46:22 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

It always bugged me to allow a rod to rattle around in the back of the pickup when driving between fishing spots. I hate breaking my rod down just to transport it. Or partially breaking down and then dealing with line/tippet snarls when I arrive at the next destination. I also anticipate my fishing the day before I go and HATE the setup time once I arrive. Have been looking/researching solutions that would allow me to 'suit up' my rod/reel prior to going fishing and be able to transport it without worrying that it will end up on the highway or broken.

So I decided the only way to break the winter blues and attempt to solve this problem was to order something on-line. My staff helped me along with a Xmas gift card to Amazon.com. So here is what I hope is the solution to the problem. Reviews were very solid on this product so I took a chance. It arrived at the office TODAY!!!!!! Will let you know how the dice-roll went ...

UserPostedImage

You have to make sure your truck/vehicle hood is metal. Believe it or not, there are apparently a number of vehicles without metal hoods/roofs.

Trapper, note this version can carry up to four (4) rods securely ... so i have room for your yellow pole. ThumpUp And Eddie, if it doesn't work well, you can have it and turn your 4 piece into an 8 piece.LOL

mj

Edited by user Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:51:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:37:35 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Can't wait to hear how this works, because that means it's fishing season ThumpUp . I have seen products similar to this and have always been curious about them. The only concern I have with them is rock or other debris hitting the rod while driving. Never thought this would be an issue going slower in between spots, but certainly would be on the freeway.
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:14:59 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
Can't wait to hear how this works, because that means it's fishing season ThumpUp . I have seen products similar to this and have always been curious about them. The only concern I have with them is rock or other debris hitting the rod while driving. Never thought this would be an issue going slower in between spots, but certainly would be on the freeway.

i thought about the debris factor, but for me, most of my driving is backroads and seldom behind trucks flinging rocks, except for the occasional milk truck. I am also going to try to avoid tornadic winds that throw cows around ...
Fly Me A River
trapper  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:17:10 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Trapper, note this version can carry up to four (4) rods securely ... so i have room for your yellow pole. ThumpUp

mj

Or a Echo 3wt Carbon..

I asked by buddy from Musky Country Outfitter's about his rod holders while driving with him last yr. He lost/broke all four rods one day while guiding a client- damn TurkeyLOL Otherwize his works fine.ThumpUp
Get Reel
MikeJuran  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:20:33 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

trapper wrote:

I asked by buddy from Musky Country Outfitter's about his rod holders while driving with him last yr. He lost/broke all four rods one day while guiding a client- damn TurkeyLOL Otherwize his works fine.ThumpUp

So THAT is what Kyle meant by 'flying debris' .........
Fly Me A River
Pete  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:46:27 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
but certainly would be on the freeway.

I've seen the same vehicle, a Jeep, driving on the Reagan Tollway in the west suburbs of Chicago, on several occasions in the last few months. He has fully-rigged rods in rod holders attached to his hood. Wherever he's going or from where he's returning, it's not a short drive. Plenty of opportunities for debris, especially with all the semis that use that road. I should've looked closer to see what rods he had packed: he's likely to have new ones whenever I see him again in the future.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:20:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Three years ago I saw a guide in a fully loaded Suburban with a roof mounted exterior rod rack drive by. One of the rods was trailing about 40 yards of fly line behind him. Must've got loose and the wind pulled it out of the reel. I bet that was real embarrassing when he stopped and his customers got out and saw it.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
kschaefer3  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:56:36 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

MikeJuran wrote:
trapper wrote:

So THAT is what Kyle meant by 'flying debris' .........

LOL Yes, literally flying BigGrin. I figured you would use it mostly on small roads while driving relatively slow...until you get excited and realize you're going 70 mph. I think they are perfect for your intended use.

Trap - I don't think that's the first turkey he's hit up there either. Better a turkey than an elk I suppose.
Trouts  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:19:35 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have always wondered how those actually work in real world conditions. It will be interesting to hear your review. Another option is the Titan rod vault, but at almost $500 I think I will just break the rod down at the mid point and toss it in the car. http://bodeoutfitters.com
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
kschaefer3  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:23:42 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Trouts wrote:
I have always wondered how those actually work in real world conditions. It will be interesting to hear your review. Another option is the Titan rod vault, but at almost $500 I think I will just break the rod down at the mid point and toss it in the car. http://bodeoutfitters.com

That looks really cool. Maybe not $500 cool (for me anyway), but a good idea for sure. If only I was rich like Eddie...Flapper