Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:27:59 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
Trouts wrote:
I have always wondered how those actually work in real world conditions. It will be interesting to hear your review. Another option is the Titan rod vault, but at almost $500 I think I will just break the rod down at the mid point and toss it in the car. http://bodeoutfitters.com

That looks really cool. Maybe not $500 cool (for me anyway), but a good idea for sure. If only I was rich like Eddie...Flapper

vac rac was $85 on Amazon ... i looked at the Titan for 2.37 seconds. Thats when I saw the price and clicked the BACK button on my browser ... yea, we can let Eddie get one of the expensive Titans and let us know how it works ....

I will be trying this out soon ... may do 'test' run with one of the cheap sticks attached down to Iowa or SE MN if the weather ever goes above zero again. will send pics and review once I've run around with it a little.
Fly Me A River
Crazylegs  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:41:39 PM(UTC)
Crazylegs

Man

Although I think hood attached rod racks look pretty cool, I think I would carry too much concern for my equipment and most likely opt out for an interior vehicle option.

Cabelas sells one for around $30 and IF you have the vehicle to carry fly rods due to there length I think this would be my way to travel! (link below)

Interior Rod Rack

Taking the elements into consideration I do understand they are fishing rods and fish live in WATER,so they are made to be dealt with in and around water but I'm not sure I would care for even "post- rain" road grime being sprayed on my rods, let alone a turkey...Yuck!ThumbDown I hope he tied some awesome streamers from the turkey feathers in revenge Flapper !!

Again for your application of back road driving I think it would work well! Please do report back and let us know how it works!
"If people focused on what was important in life, there would be a shortage of fishing rods."
EddieRivard  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:16:36 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Since I can pretty much have any type of rod carrier I want I would choose to copy this guys design who I met in Wyoming in the summer of 2012.

He even made national news. I believe that he is from Minneapolis.

Secret Service Dismantles Fly Rod Tubes

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:21:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MikeJuran  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:27:56 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

WOW Eddie ... how cool is that! Just trying to figure out the reason for the tire pump .... is that to pump air in to raise the rockets?

that is way too funny .....
Fly Me A River
EddieRivard  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:30:40 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

MikeJuran wrote:
WOW Eddie ... how cool is that! Just trying to figure out the reason for the tire pump .... is that to pump air in to raise the rockets?

that is way too funny .....

I think it was just on top of them at the time because he needed some where to put it. If he really needed a lot of hot air I'm sure he would have just invited you on the trip.
MikeJuran  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:33:07 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

EddieRivard wrote:

I think it was just on top of them at the time because he needed some where to put it. If he really needed a lot of hot air I'm sure he would have just invited you on the trip.

Ouch .....
Fly Me A River
MikeJuran  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 2:40:43 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

at the risk of spreading more 'hot air' Eddie, the two vac rac holders have been in locked down position on the counter behind my desk at work since Tuesday. I have severely torqued on them several times a day to try to get them to come off and they remain steadfast, so the suction cups are working as advertised. So I feel confident they will remain steadfast for trips between stream locations. Also, so far, no turkeys have flown into my office and slammed into the rod rack holder.... so no news to report on that front.... although, I have had a few turkeys walk into my office in the last couple days ..... a subject for another time and a different board ....

And yes, they have solidly held my red Sharpie in place since tuesday (simulation test for fly rods) .....

UserPostedImage

!!!!!!GAWD ITS BEEN A LONG WINTER !!!!!!
Fly Me A River
MikeJuran  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:15:22 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

While playing hooky last Friday with Jared, we did considerable driving between several spots in search of warmer or clearer water. Some highway stuff at 55 mph, winding turns, winter damaged pot holed roads etc. So the initial report on the MultiVac Vac Rac is positive. The rac held Jared and my fly rods and made quick work of packing up and unloading fly rods. The rods didn't manage to find any flying turkeys, so they remained undamaged. Initially I thought I had ordered the magnet version, but these are the lock-down suction cup style. And the were rock solid.

UserPostedImage

Once I get settled in Chaseburg residence, it will afford me the opportunity to string up my fly rod with initial leader, tippet, tied in the comfort of a wind free semi-warm garage and depart for streams having only to worry about suiting up in waders/boots upon arrival. Unless of course my wife is upset that I am going fishing again and I had to sleep in my waders/boots in the man-cave garage. Razz. In that case, then I just turn the key and go.
Fly Me A River
EddieRivard  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:40:03 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

UserPostedImage
MikeJuran  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:44:00 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Wow Eddie, you must not have enough lock jobs today ..... just noticed the Hardy shirt pocket ... nice touch ....
Fly Me A River