Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Breedjr45  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:21:07 PM(UTC)
Breedjr45

I have narrowed or should I say have been forced to narrow my boot choices to 3 options (because of the size). looking for any feed back I can get. Here are my choices
1. Simms Freestones (only in felt in size 15 I believe) $140
2. Korkers Redside with the kling on soles. $110
3. Cabelas felt soles. $70
the size 15 really limits me but I want to hear if anyone has any experience in these boots or something like them. Any help would be great.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:44:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I just recently purchased the Simms Freestones. I've only walked around the apartment with them and they are really stiff boots. Super ankle support, but I won't know how they will work until I get out on stream.

I've owned Cabelas boots in the past and they are comfortable. But I barely get more than one season out of a pair.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
GreatPyrs  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:19:04 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

I have some Patagonias that are pretty decent. I did buy a air of Bass Pro boots last year for about $60 -70, and they really do not have a lot of support - i find myself putting insoles in them to stiffen them up and my feet are still a bit sore at the end of the day. I would go up in price a bit as I do believe you get what you pay for :) Good luck, and always consider some insoles to give you a bit more support……

Cheers,
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Josey Wales  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:08:35 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

I have Korkers Metalhead boots. I really like them. The interchangeable soles come in handy. I also like the BOA system on the Metalhead, not sure if the Korker style you are considering have laces or BOA. I do not have any experience with the other brands you are considering.

Good luck with your decision.
minnphatts  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:27:21 PM(UTC)
minnphatts

Man

I had a pair of Korkers Redsides a few years ago and they fell apart by the end of the first season. I tend to put a lot of miles on my boots (they probably had 60+ outings on them). The upside is that Korkers has pretty good customer service. I sent the Redsides back to Korkers and upgraded to Metalheads the following year. They also fell apart within a season. For what it's worth I strongly disliked the BOA lacing system on the Metalheads. They didn't cinch down as tight as standard laces, and mine got clogged up easily with sand and dirt which ultimately meant I was unable to tighten the boots (I didn't have the tiny allen wrench to take the dial mechanism apart). The BOA system takes something as simple as a shoelace and makes it unnecessarily complicated and susceptible to catastrophic failure. Korkers proceeded to allow me to upgrade to the KGB's which have served me very well for the last year. They have been bulletproof and significantly better than the lower end boots. One of the best features is that they are much taller than any other wading boot and are pretty stiff (more like a military or ski boot) which gives you unparalleled ankle support. Unfortunately they will set you back $210.

To make a long story short, the only Korkers boots I'd endorse are the KGB's, but if you're a more casual angler that doesn't put a ton of days on the water the Redsides might serve you well. They're probably more comparable to a Cabelas boot, but I definitely wouldn't put them in the same group as the higher end Simms, Patagonia, KGB's etc.

Good Luck, it's always nice to be rockin' a new pair of boots ThumpUp
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
caribe  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:36:39 PM(UTC)
caribe

Man

If you fish early season and snow is a possibility, do not get felt bottoms. Snow will stick to the bottom of the felt and collect as you walk. Eventually your boots will turn into platform shoes and you will be walking on 6 inches on frozen snow on the bottom of your boot. I was relieved when my felt bottom boots finally wore out and I could replace them with a rubber soled boot. No snow....no problem.
caribe
scottybs  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 12:58:40 PM(UTC)
scottybs

Breedjr45 wrote:
I have narrowed or should I say have been forced to narrow my boot choices to 3 options (because of the size). looking for any feed back I can get. Here are my choices
1. Simms Freestones (only in felt in size 15 I believe) $140
2. Korkers Redside with the kling on soles. $110
3. Cabelas felt soles. $70
the size 15 really limits me but I want to hear if anyone has any experience in these boots or something like them. Any help would be great.

http://www.mrfc.com/Madi...ult.aspx?KeyWords=chrome

Checkout the Chromes for $99, good deal for a 15.

Scott
homebrewerdude  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 1:44:11 PM(UTC)
homebrewerdude

RE: the Korker Metalheads. I got about 30 trips in on my Korkers last year (SW WI and some on the Brule). I would recommend them - you can read Minn's comments in the thread started by me for a counter view.

I really like the inter-changable soles; mine came with felt & rubber/plastic soles - I wish i had the studded soles too.

The BOA still works well even tho there i can tell there is some dirt in there. I generally keep my boots clean by spraying them down after each trip so maybe that accounts for some of the differing opinions posted here. In terms of tightness of the BOA cable - it is true the boots will flex some looseness into the cable but that is easy enough to take out with another click or two. Now I just flex my ankles a bit while tightening the cable to minimize this from happening.

Last thing I will add is that these boots drain well and dry quickly.

MNFishhunter  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 2:42:10 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

For what its worth Cabela's have their Boa guide boots on sale from $170.00 down to half price, online only. I'd try them out, if you don't like them, Cabelas is great with their return policy.
Breedjr45  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 8:17:55 PM(UTC)
Breedjr45

boa are not in size 15Sad