Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:59:17 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Well into my second season with my Simms Freestones.
UserPostedImage

My only real complaint is they can be a bit stiff and dig in a bit around my lower calves (my big fat lower calves), but otherwise these things are nearly indestructible. Outstanding ankle support and overall foot protection. The rubber soles grip well on mud and rocks, but don't have excessively deep treads that require extra effort to clean. With a little TLC, these things should last many more years.

Shortly after I bought my Freestones, Simms came out with their Vapor boot:
UserPostedImage

A softer boot than the Freestones, with a shorter profile, but supposedly very comfortable. Also expensive, at $169/pair.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:09:51 AM(UTC)
DanE

Vapors are awesome. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion. All day compfort that I have not found in other boots.
Breedjr45  
#23 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:58:06 PM(UTC)
Breedjr45

I picked up the freestones. I have been very happy with them so far.
brook1619  
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 5:39:19 PM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

I went to go purchase the new Freestones and I had the opposite problem as Bill. Instead of them being too tight around the lower calf, it was too loose. When I would pull the laces as tight as they could go on the top two loops, it was not snug enough around my skinny legs. The two flaps on top that you pull together around your ankle had to be overlapped and made the calf area extremely uncomfortable. I was really disappointed as these boots will not work for me and my skinny legs. It appears a lot of Simms boots have the same lacing configuration. I am now trying to find another dependable boot, as I put in 50 or more outings in a year and usually fish most of the day when I do go.
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
trapper  
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:03:36 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
DanE wrote:
Vapors are awesome. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion. All day compfort that I have not found in other boots.

Want/Need
Get Reel
RJ23  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 6:24:26 AM(UTC)
RJ23

I'm on my 2nd pair of Simms Rivertek BOA. The first pair lasted me 2 seasons of hard fishing both in the Driftless and in my home waters on the Fox river. If I had to guess I would say between 80-90 outings in the 2 years that I had them. I noticed after the 2nd year that they were starting to pull apart at the seams where the BOA system had a lot of the tension so I called Simms to see if they could be repaired. The guy told me to send them in and they would take a look at them. Instead of repairing them they sent me a brand new pair free of charge.
trippytrouter  
#27 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 10:36:18 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

Chota felts in a 14 will fit. They are rock hard untill you get them wet.
That rock has headshakes!