Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LenH  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 4:48:20 PM(UTC)

I had cabin fever today and drove around and looked at some of my favorite streams and did some knocking on doors to find out the background of one of my favorite photos from a couple years back.

UserPostedImage

The family all but the father died in the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. The father moved back to the East coast after losing his family. The fireplace was built in 1911 along with the structure by a family of four and they had 2 more kids after they built the homestead.

The house was vacant for a couple years. It was a "Speak Easy" from 1920 to 1924 because of prohibition.

The spring thaw of 1925 was a big one and knocked the structure down. The chimney and smoke house still stand. Another log cabin smaller structure was also flattened by the spring flooding in 1925. The land is owned by a family from Chicago that deer hunt it now.

Edited by user Friday, March 21, 2014 5:05:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
CAS0311  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:21:59 AM(UTC)
CAS0311

Man

Love it. Great post. Seems it is easy to find interesting history if you just ask.
Trouts  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:07:59 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Great story Len. Reminds me of an old cabin we found way back in an area we hunt. It would be fun to know the history behind it.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”