Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 11:33:36 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I spent the weekend in Madison and did a little fishing in waters I usually drive past on my way to the Driftless (many thanks to Kurt Welke of the WDNR for giving me some good information to get started). My first trout outing of the year was Friday afternoon and the wind was howling. But there are some nice places to get out of the wind on Black Earth Creek. Saturday was much nicer and there were some cars parked at many of the access points, but I was amazed at how much water there is to fish-lots of easements and public land; I never bumped into anyone else. There was a sparse hatch of what I believe to be mayflies, but no fish rising to them.

I got into a few browns, nothing large, but was impressed with the water, including the tributaries of Black Earth Creek. It's hard to believe that such a quality watershed can be so close to a big population center. I also found some deep pool with undercut banks that I'd like to prospect next month or during the summer to see what they hold-it looked like big fish water. Fishing it before sunrise in sub-freezing temperatures was, not surprisingly, unproductive.
Sponsor
Cmac  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 12:06:46 PM(UTC)
Cmac

Dane Cty. has surprisingly plenty of spots to chase trout. There's enough so that even weekend guys like myself can find open,quiet spots. Just need time to get awayCrying
mjager0  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

yeah only problem with BEC is that its the choice stream for the "fair weather" fishermen. On those calm sunny weekends it can be hard to find a decent spot. Always good to have a back up plan.
- Matt
Instagram