Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:06:33 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I seem to go through polarized glasses at an incredible rate. Can any of you guys recommend a really good, incredibly durable pair that can last a couple seasons? I can break anything, so durability is the biggest thing I'm looking for
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Sponsor
GreatPyrs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:39:03 PM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

A bit ago i posted around this same question. Mine was about perhaps getting an over the glasses for my new prescription glasses. Nonetheless, i ended buying a pair of the Cocoons, and I have been very impressed both with the durability and solid fit. I would say that they are not just for fitting over glasses, so check them out when you get a chance. They come in a variety of sizes/shades and are a good bet for the money. I have slammed a @200.00 pair on the stream before and gotten a bit grumpy:(

I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:22:17 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I bought Smith's and really like them. Polarchromatic Copper, great in low light and bright.
bigprocess  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:28:51 PM(UTC)
bigprocess

I had a pair of Smith sunglasses as well and totally loved them, but somewhere along the way I lost them. I think they were on the top of the car when I pulled out of somewhere on the Rush at the end of last year :(

I just put in an order for a pair of Suncloud glasses. They're around $50, but can be found for cheaper. Smith is the parent company so I'm hoping for something that's still pretty nice, but that won't make me quite as upset if they get lost.

NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:23:52 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Thanks guys, I'll give both of those a look, and decide which will take me longer to break/lose...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
ozzyky  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:36:36 PM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

I'm tough on them too. That's why I won't drop 200 $300 on a pair. The 17 dollar wal mart special every other year works for what I need a pair of polarized shades to do for my fishing applications. I do understand there is a difference in quality but not worth it for me. To each his own. Got some cash burning a hole in your pocket make the jump up.
joefriday  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:33:22 AM(UTC)
joefriday

I've had all sorts of glasses, and usually keep them for a long time. In fact, I still have a pair of Maui Jims that I bought in 1990. They work fine, but the lenses are a bit beat up.

Anyway.. I wanted to mention a brand that I picked up lately that really surprised me. I bought a pair of MShades glasses at Cabelas a week ago for $30 just on a whim. I liked their wraparound look that might eliminate some side glare I was getting with my Smith Optics. Now, I'm very sensitive about glare and image distortion. To the point where crappy sunglasses will give me a headache in a few minutes. That's why I always bought expensive specs. But I tried them on in the store and was surprised with the image quality.

I've only used them on the water once, but they worked extremely well. No glare, no distortion, no headaches. Felt really comfortable, too. And for about $100 less than I normally would spend. I'd highly suggest picking up a pair if only as a backup for when you lose your good glasses.

UPDATE: The lenses on these are not durable at all. They already have noticeable mystery scratches on them. I would definitely not recommend these anymore. I'd buy Sunclouds instead.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:16:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.
Rssll  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 6:43:54 AM(UTC)
Rssll

I used a pair of polarized Maui Jim's for my last trip. They were wonderful. I was seeing everything.

I have always worn polarized oakleys but never will again.
trippytrouter  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 7:00:08 AM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

oakley oil rigs with polarized lenses... you can see the nymphs crawling on the bottom
That rock has headshakes!
HuggyBear  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 10:57:00 AM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:
I bought Smith's and really like them. Polarchromatic Copper, great in low light and bright.

Just got mine also, 'cept I got the Chromapop Polarized Copper lenses. Love 'em. Light, and really cuts the glare down, and I have no problem seeing the bottom of the stream. My eyes didn't feel tired after spending a full day on the river. If you don't have any problem spending the scratch, I highly recommended them.

Edited by user Friday, May 30, 2014 10:58:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified