Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kschaefer3  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 11:11:26 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Are the Chromapop lenses glass?
HuggyBear  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 12:07:01 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
Are the Chromapop lenses glass?

No, they are a Trivex base, which is even lighter, more impact and scratch resistant than poly-carbonate.

Honestly, I have worn glasses since I was 6 years old, and my eyesight is horrible. (my wife might argue I'm blind, especially towards dirty dishes) I have destroyed many, MANY glasses through out my life. I've had every lens possible.

For plastic, I'm quite surprised on how good the optics are with these. Sure, its not going to be good as high quality glass, but then again nothing is going to be. But, if your looking for something that you can wear all day w/o any weight fatigue on your face (ears, bridge of your nose, etc), can take a hit from an errant cast w/o any cracking or shattering, and really good scratch protection, I would recommend them.

Now, would I get glass again? Absolutely. But it would only be for prescription glasses.

Edited by user Friday, May 30, 2014 12:25:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joefriday  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:39:28 PM(UTC)
joefriday

I decided to get some Chromapop sunglasses because of this thread, so I ordered some from Amazon a couple weeks ago (they were $167 there compared to $209 everywhere else). But immediately after that, I decided to also order some Suncloud Sentry sunglasses, too. Apparently Suncloud is manufactured by Smith. I already own a pair of Suncloud and I really like them, but they're not suitable for fishing.

I finally received both pairs so I compared them. I gotta say that I can't see any difference in visual quality. Keep in mind that I do Photoshop work for a living, and I've had my eyes tested for color accuracy. The Sunclouds look exactly the same as the Chromapop Smiths. BTW, the Sunclouds cost $40.

The Chromapop Smiths are being returned this week. They're very nice. But I don't need to spend $127 more for the same thing. And I prefer the way the Sentrys fit.

Edited by user Monday, June 16, 2014 1:41:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.
kschaefer3  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:09:39 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

joefriday wrote:
I decided to get some Chromapop sunglasses because of this thread, so I ordered some from Amazon a couple weeks ago (they were $167 there compared to $209 everywhere else). But immediately after that, I decided to also order some Suncloud Sentry sunglasses, too. Apparently Suncloud is manufactured by Smith. I already own a pair of Suncloud and I really like them, but they're not suitable for fishing.

I finally received both pairs so I compared them. I gotta say that I can't see any difference in visual quality. Keep in mind that I do Photoshop work for a living, and I've had my eyes tested for color accuracy. The Sunclouds look exactly the same as the Chromapop Smiths. BTW, the Sunclouds cost $40.

The Chromapop Smiths are being returned this week. They're very nice. But I don't need to spend $127 more for the same thing. And I prefer the way the Sentrys fit.

Which lenses did you get on the sunclouds?
joefriday  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:29:15 AM(UTC)
joefriday

Brown tint polycarbonate. I don't think they have a fancy name for those.
kschaefer3  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:32:41 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

joefriday wrote:
Brown tint polycarbonate. I don't think they have a fancy name for those.

I think you are correct, I was just curious if you got the brown or gray tint. Thanks for the info. I need new sunglasses bad, but don't think I'll be able to pull myself to drop a couple hundred on them for a while. $40 I will probably do before I go to Montana.

I have a friend who religiously tries to get me to get Costa's, but it's just so much money for something i beat the piss out of and will probably break/lose before I feel like I got my money's worth.
HuggyBear  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:08:36 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Actually had to send my Smith's back in to them today. The coating they use on the inside of the lense was peeling and bubbling on the edges. Haven't even had them for a full month. Kinda disappointed to be honest. We'll see how their customer service is to deal with....
kschaefer3  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:55:22 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

HuggyBear wrote:
Actually had to send my Smith's back in to them today. The coating they use on the inside of the lense was peeling and bubbling on the edges. Haven't even had them for a full month. Kinda disappointed to be honest. We'll see how their customer service is to deal with....

That's not fun. Please report back on their customer service.
HuggyBear  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:33:52 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

So....

I sent the glasses in, and kept an eye on tracking to make sure they made it, which they did. I did not hear anything from customer service for about a week. I sent them an email asking what the status was on my glasses. It was replied to in a under an hour, and they said they were shipping me brand new glasses and they should be there in a few days. They showed up the very next day.

The new ones seem OK. When I was looking at the lenses with some backlight, I noticed some weird discoloration right where the last ones started peeling & bubbling. It seems to me that there are some major quality issues with whomever is applying the coating on the inside of the glasses, like not smoothing out any air pockets when the coating is first applied to the lense. If the same problem arises with these, then it might be a good idea to pursue about getting an upgrade to the polychromic lenses.

We'll see how they hold out to my "bull-in-a-china-shop" approach to glasses.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:41:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joefriday  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:52:06 PM(UTC)
joefriday

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed if anything else happens.

I just remembered the brand of sunglasses that I really liked. Native. I had a pair for about 6 years and the lenses stayed scratch-free with excellent clarity. Eventually the nose pads fell off and the hinges started to wear out. I sent them to the factory along with $30 (because I forgot to register them when I had the sales slip). They replaced them with a brand new pair. And then I lost the new pair a week later. So I sucked it up and bought a brand new pair. And lost those two weeks later! That's when I decided to move on to something else for no fault of Native. I'd say their quality is up there with Smith.