Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redneckdan  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:40:26 AM(UTC)
redneckdan

Man

I am a fan of Smith, particularly interchangeable lens systems. They are really good about their warrenty too.

I usually buy two sets of polarized lens a year and destroy them both. They get used on the bike as well as fishing and every wear else. June bugs at 70 tend to be hard on the lens, add in grinding sparks, occasioanl errant cast and dropping them on the groud repeatedly and you can probably understand why they don't last me very long. I have a pair of frames going on 10 years old.
gbahn73  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:05:55 PM(UTC)
gbahn73

Man

Check out suncloud polarized glasses... have a pair andthey are great good pair of glasses for $40
Small streams,small spinners and native fishing is what I love
HuggyBear  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:05:34 PM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So....

Second pair of Smith's, second time dealing with the same problem...

Its too late for me to send them back, as I leave on my trip next week, and wouldn't get them back in time. Needless to say, I'm really pissed off.

At this point and time, if someone asked for my opinion of Smith, I would say don't waste your money.
NE IA Drifter  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:39:39 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Throw my 2c in - bought a pair of sound clouds after hearing the praise here. Gotta say I'm really impressed with them for the money. Chose them over the chromopop after using both.
BeerMeDean  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 6:36:04 AM(UTC)
BeerMeDean

I did a quick search for this thread because I'm getting a new pair of sunglasses soon. I just wanted to add my positive review of Smith Optics.

The reason that I'm getting a new pair is because I sent in a old pair for warranty/repair. The screw that holds the ear piece fell out presumably while jiggling around my dash. The polycarbonate lenses were scratched from the frames rubbing. These were issues that I felt were my own fault because I'm not easy on sunglasses. Instead of going to a shop and paying $5 for a new screw, I decided to pay $5 to ship them back to Smith. I got a call 2 days later informing me that they would warranty the pair and since they were discontinued that I'd have a full credit on a new pair. I picked out a new set of a frames I already own with the Techlite glass in a different tint. I have tried probably 10-15 different sets of Smiths over the years and these lenses are bomb proof. They don't scratch when I drop them on concrete, they clean easily and the optic quality is great. I would highly recommend Smith as an option for higher end optics.

This is your life, it's not a drill.

dave j  
#26 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 9:29:58 AM(UTC)
dave j

I STARTED USEING A PAIR OF COSTA'S LAST FALL WITH THE 580 LENSES. THEY ARE THE BEST I'VE USED AND I HAVE MAUI JIM'S AND SMITHS . THEY ARE 180.00 GLASSES AND I PAID 53.00 AT SIERRA OUTDOOR TRADING POST.
StorminNorman  
#27 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 1:32:56 PM(UTC)
StorminNorman

I agree with Dave - love my Costa's. Comfy and you can see everything...a bit pricey though.
Greylin  
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2015 4:57:47 PM(UTC)
Greylin

I've been using Maui Jims for years and they are great. That being said they are pricey and allow for some side glare. This Christmas I picked up a pair of Columbias that I wore for the first time yesterday and have to say I was impressed for the $10 I shelled our for them. Time will tell if they are good on the water but for $10 I figured that I couldn't go wrong. I looked today and found them for $20 on ebay which still seems like a good deal. Here's the link: Columbia Sunglasses Polarized CBC20003 Brown
I live in a van down by the river.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 8:57:59 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

I wear glasses and have no contacts. What is the best flip/attach-on polarized glasses you have experience with?

I have tried strike king, cocoon and walmart brands. I feel like my vision has still not improved when I stare in the water. Just the other day, I walked along the shoreline with my strike king brand and didn't see anything, however in the same spot seconds later, I saw a northern jump and chase a bluegill. Then my buddy says, there was a whole school of bluegills sitting there.

I feel like I am not seeing what others are seeing that wear higher priced glasses. Thought about getting contacts just for fishing so I can buy a higher priced polarized glasses, but the like others have mentioned, it is hard to keep the glasses in good shape.

EddieRivard  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 9:31:31 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)

ThumpUp