Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brook1619  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:59:00 PM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

Looks like Western Wisconsin on average picked up about 1 inch of rain last night into today. How do you think the Rush, Kinni, or Trimbelle will be on Saturday? A buddy of mine is coming from Green Bay and I don't want him to make the trek with high and muddy streams. Thanks!
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:28:17 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:48:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
I'm in Westby tonight. Fished the Timber Coulee system today.

The bigger streams were blown out by mid-afternoon. Some of the smaller streams were actually running clear to somewhat stained most of the day. The rain is soaking into the ground for the most part vrs running off. It looks like the area streams will clear overnight now that the rain has stopped. 1/2" to 1" of total rain in this area today, according to the local radio station. Things are greening up nicely.

Despite the miserable horizontal rain & upper 30's temps, I still managed to catch 7 modest Brownss in 2 hours in the.soup. Tomorrow should be better.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
ozzyky  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:15:24 PM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

Was thinking you could tell us as your one minute from water
brook1619  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 10:15:35 AM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

ozzyky wrote:
Was thinking you could tell us as your one minute from water

I am one minute from a different stream that is much much smaller. I am over an hour from the Rush. Thanks for the help!Razz
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
Sage5wt  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 10:50:02 AM(UTC)
Sage5wt

Check the USGS gauge for the Kinni. IMO, and I'm not going to get into all the caveats, at 138 CFS on the Kinni currently, the Rush should be fine to fish.

http://http://waterdata.usgs.go...d=7&site_no=05342000

Seabee  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 2:22:54 PM(UTC)
Seabee

Man

I saw that the kinni has very high flows not good for the up coming opener I have been told the rush can be worse than the kinni
brook1619  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:42:27 PM(UTC)
brook1619

Man

Seabee wrote:
I saw that the kinni has very high flows not good for the up coming opener I have been told the rush can be worse than the kinni

If you're looking to fish any streams in Western Wisconsin this weekend good luck! I drove past some of the larger systems and small feeders on my way home from work today. They were almost at the point of flowing over the banks. The fields around the streams were full of standing water and the ditches were moving quite swiftly. We are supposed to get another half inch tonight into tomorrow and will only add to the 2 inches we have already received. Even if the rain stops after tomorrow, I do not see the streams getting back to normal levels by the weekend. At best, they may have normal discharge but will be stained. What are the streams looking like down in Vernon and Crawford counties?
inland sweep  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:05:45 PM(UTC)
inland sweep

Down here in Iowa and Western Dane steams aren't in terrible shape. High and a bit off color for the larger systems. We haven't had any sustained prolonged downpours so the ground has been able to soak up most of it. Sounds like we are out of the heaviest rain so I'm guessing the weekend will be ok around here for the most part.
Jackie Treehorn  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:00:09 AM(UTC)
Jackie Treehorn

Thanks for the update! Was wondering how the streams were holding up down in here in SW.