Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:12:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Quite a rant here, but you guys need the full story and all, this was highly unusual and angered me greatlyBigGrin
Fished with a good buddy of mine today on "Rainbow Creek" since I didn't have to work. Didn't do particularly well, only caught 3 fish of keeper size, put all but 1 gut hooked 'bow back, but stealth wasn't put at a premium today, just having a fun time. We fished the rehabbed stretch that Mark and I fished, the same stretch Streamer Dream Teamer Eddie Rivard just fished. Anyway right after we had entered the stream and legally negotiated the weir pictured, someone pulled of the road, hopped on a golf cart(?) and pulled up to us, 50 yards off the road. She told us we had entered the stream illegally, were fishing on private property, all that bullshit, and asked us to leave. I told her we had accessed the stream legally at the bridge that was literally 50 yards upstream of us at this point. She told me there was no way I could have done that. My friend laughed out loud, and said that we had both just done it. She said she "would love to see that" in a mocking tone. I unhooked the Rainbow I had just caught, negotiated the weir again, even though it ruined the pool at this point. She then asked me to show her how I got out, I guess she needed to see me walk the 40 yards up the stream to the bridge and all... I did, but only after telling her I wasn't leaving. I walked to the bridge, told her how I would walk to my car 20 yards up the road on the shoulder, and turned around. She seemed upset, and left for a moment, maybe to call the landowner? She then walked back to her parked golf cart, told us that she worked for the Belwins, and gave us a big discussion on how they protected landowners rights, how the people of Afton did not appreciate people fishing Rainbow Creek, and how "Protective" this particular landowner was. Right, like I give a rat's ass, I was fishing legally and she knew it... She then made a derogatory comment about me and my friend having a dip of Grizzly, referring to us as, "That aggressive type of person, the people who chew and drink and fish." I just laughed, but my friend grew upset at this point. She even had the nerve to ask us to move upstream to a landowner that didn't care as much. I told her that I wanted to fish the rehabbed stretch. She said it wasn't rehabbed. Are you F****** kidding me? We were fishing right in front of a man-made waterfall, in a stretch that has been continually rehabbed for decades, that has brand new HI being put in right now, with some just completed last winter! She then asked us to "...at least not move any further downstream." Are you kidding me? She said there were obstacles that couldn't be negotiated. I told her that if we could negotiate the weir, we could negotiate anything else. At this point she admitted that she didn't want us fishing there (big shocker, I know) and copped to the fact that she couldn't do anything about it "If you actually got in the way you said you got in." She then called the landowner and left. The owner then hopped in his truck to check the spot where we got in, to check for boot prints I guess. He did not check his trail cam however. He then hopped in his truck and drove by very slowly. We fished the rest of the day without any problems, but we couldn't believe the nerve of this woman
BTW guys, I know someone mentioned a DTA protest of sorts last year for this creek, but I don't really want that. Numbers are down this year, and there's no need to get back at the landowners by cleaning out the rest of the creek, gill lice and erosion are causing some problems as it is. Lets keep it a good fishery, and it'll be great when the awesome year class from last spring finally become catchable over the next couple years.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 9:16:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:16:26 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I would have called Amber and have her cited for angler harassment.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Josey Wales  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:40:20 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

Sorry you had to deal with that. But from your story, it sounds like you handled it really well. I would be hard not to lose your cool in a situation like that.
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:41:27 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Mark Dahlquist wrote:

Technically I guess she didn't break any laws, I looked into it. I just didn't appreciate her tone and how she kept pressing the issue.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Pete  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:44:43 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:

Is Amber the local CPO? Threatening this kind of person with a citation for angler/hunter harassment is the only thing that will get their attention; that's probably what it's going to take to make them allow you to fish in peace. Congrats on handling the situation so well.
lightningo2  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:04:41 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry to hear that! It can really throw off the mood of a fishing trip. My friend and I have only run into a problematic land owner once while fishing in the Driftless area. Not sure if we have just been lucky, but that one time was enough to put us on edge ever since. In that instance we unintentionally walked across his land to access the stream, but we did not know it at the time. This particular land owner gave us quite an attitude when he road up to us on his 4 wheeler. The whole mood for the day was ruined because this guy was a dick!.....sorry. I am all for respecting landowner rights, but some take it too far. Were just here to fish, not ruin the land, not liter, not scare animals. Why do people have to be like that???? That lady in your story needs to get her head out of her ass! wow.

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 1:05:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:22:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

lightningo2 wrote:
Sorry to hear that! It can really throw off the mood of a fishing trip. My friend and I have only run into a problematic land owner once while fishing in the Driftless area. Not sure if we have just been lucky, but that one time was enough to put us on edge ever since. In that instance we unintentionally walked across his land to access the stream, but we did not know it at the time. This particular land owner gave us quite an attitude when he road up to us on his 4 wheeler. The whole mood for the day was ruined because this guy was a dick!.....sorry. I am all for respecting landowner rights, but some take it too far. Were just here to fish, not ruin the land, not liter, not scare animals. Why do people have to be like that???? That lady in your story needs to get her head out of her ass! wow.

Yeah I know, and the thing is, she wasn't even a landowner. She works for the Belwins, she may live in St. Paul for all I know.
kngfsher  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 7:50:13 PM(UTC)
kngfsher

I've talked to a few people at Belwin. Their main "concern" with not wanting people to fish that section of the stream is that they have frequent school field trips to that area, and don't want the kids to "be traumatized by the sight of a fish being caught by an uncaring fisherman."

Some things can't be made up...
"What do you want to fish for?"
"Trout."
"Why trout?"
"Because there's no better fish to chase!"
Mark Dahlquist  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:08:35 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Kids traumatized? Reminds me of the scene of Lyle shooting the cow as the kids in the school bus drive by in Napoleon Dynamite.

UserPostedImage
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
kngfsher  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:11:53 AM(UTC)
kngfsher

Hey, I'm just passing along what the tree hugger told me. Doesn't male sense to me either.

After I was told that, I knew I couldn't dumb myself down that much, so I just left.
Arguing with stupid people is useless.
"What do you want to fish for?"
"Trout."
"Why trout?"
"Because there's no better fish to chase!"