Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Deals Options
ilikefood
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 08, 2014 3:31:01 AM

This should be an ongoing thread for trout-fishing items at great prices. If you find something on sale or used, please post here.

I will start:

Cabela's has a TFO Pro Special Fly rod for $75 (Cabela's claims the original price is $139). I saw a 9 ft 6 wt at the new Woodbury store today. Seems like a good rod. Does anyone have experience with these rods? Sale is through 6-15-14.

Cabela's also has SA's Sharkskin GPX tapered fly line for $55. Not sure if this is a good deal, but it might be. Sale also ends 6-15-14.

Any other good buys out there?
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
kschaefer3
#2 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 2:20:26 PM

ilikefood wrote:
Cabela's also has SA's Sharkskin GPX tapered fly line for $55. Not sure if this is a good deal, but it might be. Sale also ends 6-15-14.

This would have been an amazing deal when they first came out. Now, they are trying to clearance them (I think). I have seen them for cheap several places lately. They have a new sharkwave line that is supposed to shoot line as well, without destroying hands and reels.
joefriday
#3 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 5:24:15 PM

One place I always check for closeouts is Madison River Fishing Company
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.
ilikefood
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:37:07 AM

joefriday wrote:
One place I always check for closeouts is Madison River Fishing Company

Thanks for the info. They have some nice prices on RL Winston Passports. Hmmm...
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
joefriday
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:29:25 AM

I bought a couple Winston GVX's from them last year. Great prices and good service. They're an authorized dealer so you get the full warranty.
richardkl249
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:23:32 PM

Just got a DT 7 wt line from Anglers Roost. $14 including postage. I'll put it on this weekend and give it a wirl.
joefriday
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:00:14 PM

A reputable source for good lines is Hook & Hackle.. they have their own label that is said to be Cortland Peach. I just bought one (right this minute) because I see they are on sale ($38) for the version with welded loops (called Rise). If you want the version without (Hi-Floater), they're only $25 right now.

http://store.hookhack.co...Fly-Line/products/1041/ (with loops)

http://store.hookhack.co...ard-Lines/products/714/ (without loops)
Trouts
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:48:15 PM

joefriday wrote:
A reputable source for good lines is Hook & Hackle.. they have their own label that is said to be Cortland Peach. I just bought one (right this minute) because I see they are on sale ($38) for the version with welded loops (called Rise). If you want the version without (Hi-Floater), they're only $25 right now.

http://store.hookhack.co...Fly-Line/products/1041/ (with loops)

http://store.hookhack.co...ard-Lines/products/714/ (without loops)

I have a one of their DT 2wt lines and really like it. Reminds me more of the Cortland Sylk series of lines, but a great line none the less. Just ordered a few DT 5 and 6 lines a couple of days ago and they should be here by Sat. Fantastic company to do business with and they have free shipping on orders that are over $35.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”

HuggyBear
#9 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 3:26:56 AM

Cabelas is having a sale on the Sage VXP. At first (last week) the sale was for a $100 off retail, then this past weekend they dropped it to $200 off, so I bought it. Now checking the website its back down to only $100. Hell of a deal for a great all around rod. I took it out for the first time last night and it casts like a dream. Roll casting, slack line and curve casts, and it even made my sloppy hauling look good. Excited to use this rod more, and really excited to get it out west this Aug.

Sage VXP

BTW - I got the 9' 5 wt.
kschaefer3
#10 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 2:25:18 PM

HuggyBear wrote:
Cabelas is having a sale on the Sage VXP. At first (last week) the sale was for a $100 off retail, then this past weekend they dropped it to $200 off, so I bought it. Now checking the website its back down to only $100. Hell of a deal for a great all around rod. I took it out for the first time last night and it casts like a dream. Roll casting, slack line and curve casts, and it even made my sloppy hauling look good. Excited to use this rod more, and really excited to get it out west this Aug.

Sage VXP

BTW - I got the 9' 5 wt.

I would love to cast it! You can get good deals on these pretty often, and I wouldn't mind upgrading my 6 wt. Is it pretty fast?