Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Deals Options
HuggyBear
#11 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 4:58:14 PM

kschaefer3 wrote:
HuggyBear wrote:
Cabelas is having a sale on the Sage VXP. At first (last week) the sale was for a $100 off retail, then this past weekend they dropped it to $200 off, so I bought it. Now checking the website its back down to only $100. Hell of a deal for a great all around rod. I took it out for the first time last night and it casts like a dream. Roll casting, slack line and curve casts, and it even made my sloppy hauling look good. Excited to use this rod more, and really excited to get it out west this Aug.

Sage VXP

BTW - I got the 9' 5 wt.

I would love to cast it! You can get good deals on these pretty often, and I wouldn't mind upgrading my 6 wt. Is it pretty fast?

Ya, its fast, but its not super fast. Its a happy medium between tip & mid flex. Right now I'm using Rio Gold for line and a furled leader, but that line is 3 seasons old and its time to replace it. Not sure with what. Looking at AirFLo for a change as I've always been a Rio guy.... We'll see how this pans out...
Sage5wt
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 1:10:42 AM

Bob Mitchells fly shop has 20% off on Redington reels. I bought a sweet Rise reel yesterday and fished it last night. It was really smooth and picked up the line noticeably faster than the old click and pawl SA systems ones I have on my other rods. I didn't know they stopped making the system ones until now. Hopefully, this Redington will be as bulletproof as the system one.

ilikefood
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:50:02 AM

Lund's Fly Shop in River Falls has RL Winston Passport fly rods for $50 off, the VSL is $70 off, and a Echo Edge 84 is $50 off.
I've had my eye on that Passport for a while now. Hmmm.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
joefriday
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:04:09 PM

When it comes to Winstons, I'd save up and get a green stick. The Passports and VSLs are ok, but not in the same league as the made in America Winstons.
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.
William Schlafer
#15 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 12:06:41 AM

Cabelas has $100 off on R.L. Winston Passport Fly Rods. this week.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
ilikefood
#16 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 2:08:02 AM

Thanks for posting, William. I saw that too but forgot to post it here.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
William Schlafer
#17 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 1:27:41 PM

Winston makes a nice rod. I'd buy one, but I've decided that five rods is enough for me right now. RollEyes

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
redneckdan
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 5:50:41 PM

Pfft, my boat doesn't leave the yard without AT LEAST 5 rods in it. And thats just the fly rods, not counting the trolling rig and the worm chucker for if I get desperate to catch something...maybe downsize from a 14' boat isnn't such a good idea...
joefriday
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 7:11:55 PM

I'm still going to say that if you buy a Passport or VSL you aren't getting a Winston. I've owned a dozen different Winstons (I have 4 of them right now). And the only ones I've kept for more than a month were the green ones. The others aren't made by Winston and don't cast anything like them. You are much better off buying a closeout or used rod off somebody else.
I've got more sticks than I can shake a fish at.
PrettyFlyWIGuy
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:37:39 PM

Can you elaborate on this? I own a VSL--but it's the first real rod I've purchased, so I guess I don't have anything else to compare it to. I did cast it along side the Echo Carbon and a few other comparable rods (price point wise) and I personally preferred the VSL (hence the purchase.)

If it's not made by Winston, then who is the manufacturer?