Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trippytrouter  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 6:15:35 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

How we lookin? We gonna be fishable
That rock has headshakes!
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:54:57 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 40 post(s)
It's pretty rough - I was out today, doing more gas-wasting than fishing, just to see how things were looking in my usual spots.
Hay Creek was a good foot or two higher than usual, though I wouldn't say it was 'out of it's banks' - but it was clear from the vegetation that it had been in the last few days. So it's dropping, I guess, but it's muddy - I'd say max of 4-6" depth visibility. Did manage to get a couple browns in the hour I was there - I'm sure a shit-ton of worms were washed into the stream, and that's what I caught them on :D
Also stopped by Trout Brook, just because it's one of my go-to streams after a rain, and damn, it is absolutely BLOWN OUT. The Cannon is so high that Miesville Ravine County Park was closed, and there were a couple of road closed signs, so I assume Orlando Trail was underwater this week, but it was above the Cannon today. Went around the 'park closed' signs just to see how bad it was, and boy was it bad. The water was up to the bottom of the first footbridge, which normally sits 4-5 feet above the water. There was no current, so I assume the Cannon has backed up into the lower reaches of the stream. The water is usually gin clear, even after a rain, but today it was black. 3 inch visibility, tops. I measured 66 degree water temps, which are usually a consistent 50-55. The banks were totally submerged. I imagine it's unfishable until the Cannon comes down, though maybe wayyy upstream you can find some moving water. I hope that's where the trout are, because they're in trouble otherwise. yuck.
Also made a quick stop at Pine Creek, which was actually fishable (though by the time I got there it was almost 8pm, so I didn't stay long). It's definitely a bit higher/faster than usual, but only somewhat stained, certainly not as muddy as Hay Creek was.

Gonna be rough if you're trying to get out this weekend. Hopefully we have a dry week so the water can start coming back down to normal-ish levels.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"