Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:47:05 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

aaron14 wrote:
Just finished a new video. I think it's our best yet, with cool footage of strikes and close-ups of trout. I even make an appearance. They've really been hitting the tricos for us lately!

https://vimeo.com/102698078

Very nice guys!
Fly Me A River
Josey Wales  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:18:28 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

Well done guys. Looks like you have been doing well on the river lately. I would agree that this is your best video yet.
Dobber  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:41:44 AM(UTC)
Dobber

Very nice editing and the boys have some skills.

ilikefood  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:00:09 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Very nice video, keep up the good work! ThumpUp
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
aaron14  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:47:52 PM(UTC)
aaron14

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks guys!
spreebee  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:58:07 AM(UTC)
spreebee

Excellent video! Really makes me want to head out to some streams right now ThumpUp
aaron14  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:26:00 AM(UTC)
aaron14

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
spreebee wrote:
Excellent video! Really makes me want to head out to some streams right now ThumpUp

Thanks!
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 12:31:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
During the winter months I sooth my fishing itch by watching YouTube videos. Rich Osthoff posted these great videos he shot last season:

Driftless Area Hopper Fishing

Driftless Rainbows

I love that narrow stream Rich is fishing using Hoppers. Point blank range casts and massive hits right after the fly hits the water. Fun stuff!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:51:36 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

William Schlafer --- you got me sitting at working wishing it was summer again. Thanks for sharing the videos. Aaron's videos and the ones by Rich are amazing. When I started hopper fishing, I never knew how exciting it was until I actually tried it. Can't wait for this summer.
William Schlafer  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 5:17:20 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
William Schlafer --- you got me sitting at working wishing it was summer again. Thanks for sharing the videos. Aaron's videos and the ones by Rich are amazing. When I started hopper fishing, I never knew how exciting it was until I actually tried it. Can't wait for this summer.

Some take a ways from Rich's hopper fishing video:

1) note how short his casts were while fishing that tiny creek with tall grass and undercut banks. With all that cover, you can get right on top of the Trout without fear of spooking. The shorter casts mean fewer snags and better accuracy. Work the edges of the banks instead of the middle of stream.

2) Rich was slapping the fly down on the water so it makes a noticeable splat when it lands. When Trout are feeding on hoppers, they will reaction strike anything that lands hard on the water.

3) notice how many strikes came at almost the instant the fly hit the water? Rich was target casting to spots where he thought Trout might be hiding. Undercut banks are the key. Look for dark holes under the overhanging grass.

4) if you listen to the commentary, you'll hear them talk about using 3X leaders to make it easier to jerk the fly out of the grass if it hangs up. I've actually fished 2X at times while hopper fishing. You can also go with shorter leaders as the Trout aren't easily distracted.

5) although it wasn't covered in the video, size is more important than color or even a particular pattern for hoppers. I've found size 8-12 to be more effective than larger sizes. Almost any pattern with a foam body and legs will suffice for hopper fishing. A bit of wind is also key. Once the wind knocks hoppers in sufficient numbers into the water, the Trout will start keying on them.

6) if you don't get any strikes even though there are hoppers around, try walking along a stretch of stream bank to stir up the hoppers. A few will land in the water and may get the Trout to start looking up. Fish your way back up the same stretch after a few minutes and work the same side of the bank you walked along. This has worked for me on several occasions.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos