Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aaron14  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:13:15 PM(UTC)
aaron14

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:

That video is awesome. I will probably watch it a couple dozen times within the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing!
William Schlafer  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:12:52 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
FYI;

Rich Osthoff guides throughout the DA, ties some really nice flies and has several good books on fly fishing.

Rich Osthoff's website.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
kinni  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:22:44 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

6) if you don't get any strikes even though there are hoppers around, try walking along a stretch of stream bank to stir up the hoppers. A few will land in the water and may get the Trout to start looking up. Fish your way back up the same stretch after a few minutes and work the same side of the bank you walked along. This has worked for me on several occasions.

-Bill

Chumming with hoppers! I love it!!
trapper  
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:00:27 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
aaron14 wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

That video is awesome. I will probably watch it a couple dozen times within the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing!

You will make a better one
Get Reel
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:26:09 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

William Schlafer wrote:
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
William Schlafer --- you got me sitting at working wishing it was summer again. Thanks for sharing the videos. Aaron's videos and the ones by Rich are amazing. When I started hopper fishing, I never knew how exciting it was until I actually tried it. Can't wait for this summer.

Some take a ways from Rich's hopper fishing video:

1) note how short his casts were while fishing that tiny creek with tall grass and undercut banks. With all that cover, you can get right on top of the Trout without fear of spooking. The shorter casts mean fewer snags and better accuracy. Work the edges of the banks instead of the middle of stream.

2) Rich was slapping the fly down on the water so it makes a noticeable splat when it lands. When Trout are feeding on hoppers, they will reaction strike anything that lands hard on the water.

3) notice how many strikes came at almost the instant the fly hit the water? Rich was target casting to spots where he thought Trout might be hiding. Undercut banks are the key. Look for dark holes under the overhanging grass.

4) if you listen to the commentary, you'll hear them talk about using 3X leaders to make it easier to jerk the fly out of the grass if it hangs up. I've actually fished 2X at times while hopper fishing. You can also go with shorter leaders as the Trout aren't easily distracted.

5) although it wasn't covered in the video, size is more important than color or even a particular pattern for hoppers. I've found size 8-12 to be more effective than larger sizes. Almost any pattern with a foam body and legs will suffice for hopper fishing. A bit of wind is also key. Once the wind knocks hoppers in sufficient numbers into the water, the Trout will start keying on them.

6) if you don't get any strikes even though there are hoppers around, try walking along a stretch of stream bank to stir up the hoppers. A few will land in the water and may get the Trout to start looking up. Fish your way back up the same stretch after a few minutes and work the same side of the bank you walked along. This has worked for me on several occasions.

-Bill

Bill. This is great! Going to up my hopper game this year.
William Schlafer  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:04:56 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

The best part of Hopper fishing is that once the bigger fish start feasting on Grass Hoppers, they lose most of their wariness and just blindly attack anything that hits the water. By mid-summer the stream bank grass is fairly tall too, making it easy to get right on top of their hiding spots.

A dry, but cloudy afternoon day with storms building and bit of wind are prefect conditions for hopper fishing. Find a stream with undercut banks and start slapping. If conditions are wet, switch to black beetle, dark Hippy Stompers, or ant patterns.

Although I've never done it, mid-summer is also a great time to try mousing. Provided you don't mind stumbling around in the dark and dealing with the mosquitoes.

-Bill

Edited by user Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:06:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#27 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:30:17 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

The best part of Hopper fishing is that once the bigger fish start feasting on Grass Hoppers, they lose most of their wariness and just blindly attack anything that hits the water. By mid-summer the stream bank grass is fairly tall too, making it easy to get right on top of their hiding spots.

A dry, but cloudy afternoon day with storms building and bit of wind are prefect conditions for hopper fishing. Find a stream with undercut banks and start slapping. If conditions are wet, switch to black beetle, dark Hippy Stompers, or ant patterns.

Although I've never done it, mid-summer is also a great time to try mousing. Provided you don't mind stumbling around in the dark and dealing with the mosquitoes.

-Bill

I love mouse fishing in the summer, especially when the moon is big. I don't know if the moon light turns the fish on, but it helps me move around a little easier. When the moon is bright, I look for bigger still pools near bridges, just for convenience of accessing them.

Your hopper chumming reminds me of the San Juan shuffle. Kick up some of the stream bottom to put color in the water. Here is an extreme example of that...

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram