Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Valley Creek Options
Little Turkey
#1 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 3:16:03 PM

I am moving across the river from Hudson to Woodbury. I was looking at Valley Creek as a place to go for a short trip or after work. I have not been able to find much information other than access is very limited. Does anyone have any access tips or other helpful information that might get me started. Feel free to send a PM if you would prefer.
Thanks in advance.
Little Turkey
kschaefer3
#2 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 3:29:31 PM

There have been threads on here pertaining to that creek. The landowners are supposed to be a real pain to deal with. Even if you access legally and keep your feet wet, harassment sounds probable.
Trouts
#3 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 3:36:14 PM

My advise would be to avoid fishing it as landowner harassment just isn't worth it in my opinion. Fish size is small on average and I would give you a 50/50 chance of having the sheriff called on you even if you are 100% legal. Everyone I know that has fished it has had the sheriff called even though they were completely legal. Plenty of other streams nearby I would suggest first.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”

Mark Dahlquist
#4 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 4:39:08 PM

Park at Sagecoach and walk downstream through the Belwins. All new HI. Walk for a ways then fish your way up. They have this stupid little bridge that is low that is supposed to be a barricade to keep it private but you can get through. Trail cam on the tree so don't break the law. Technically you cannot even touch the shore.

Tons of wild trout browns, brook, and rainbow. But last time I went they were all finger sized.
-Mark
Board Owner

Little Turkey
#5 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 5:33:53 PM

Thanks for all of the quick responses. This is really a great source for information. I am going to give it a try but it may not be for a couple weeks due to the move and coaching my son's football team. As long as I am within my rights I am not really concerned about the landowners. I will be sure to post the experience.

I don't see any other streams close to Woodbury/Afton on the MN side, or am I wrong?
Trouts
#6 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 5:50:36 PM

There aren't really any more streams in the Woodbury/Afton area. What I meant by close by was the western WI streams like the Kinni. I would send someone else there first. Bigger fish and much easier to access.

Good luck and as everyone else has mentioned keep your feet 100% wet.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”

trippytrouter
#7 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2014 11:11:18 PM

The dnr says it is an awesome stream with high abundance of average size brooks browns and bows. Always been curious but never fished it. For you guys thats fished it. How big is it?
That rock has headshakes!
Mark Dahlquist
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:16:55 AM

It's about as big as Hay Creek.
-Mark
Board Owner

trippytrouter
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:26:08 PM

Somewhat easy to fly fish or more of a gear/bait stream
That rock has headshakes!
Mark Dahlquist
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:00:48 PM