Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:33:01 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This is where my focus has been most weekend mornings. Last weekend was walleye, smallies, catfish, and a mooneye. Everything miniature sized for some reason. Maybe I should have kept photos of the walleye. Two were literally the size of one of my fingers. Young of the year for sure.

This morning I went back and tried again at a new favorite spot. I caught this nice 20" cat on cut sucker. I've learned catfish are the very best at stealing bait be it worm or cutbait, and surprisingly light biters. I found that a smaller hook along with a quick hook set helps tremendously.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

For their size and girth I don't think they are great fighters. Even that 29" one I caught weighing 9# with a 16" girth was quickly landed on 10# line with my trout pole. I believe their muscle focus is in their jaws for eating. They have such a strong head, they are really hard to kill too. The fish today I had him gutted, bleed out, and stomped on his head five times and he was still thrashing around as I skinned him out.

I also caught a couple of nice shorthead redhorse, this one being the nicest.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Lastly, a decent smallie too.
UserPostedImage

The pool I found you can fish it for several hours straight and get bites every cast. Somebody even left a lawn chair on the bank that comes in handy.

Edited by user Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:55:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:11:46 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Mark, keep in mind that your Trout rod could be used for many Largemouth applications without anyone batting an eye...Laugh Use my UL St Croix Triumph and you wouldn't have seen that fish for at least 5-10 minutes.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:57:59 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

69 degrees. Tricos hatching on the Cannon. Just caught another cat. Did not measure but would guess 23." Let go as I still have some in the freezer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Big fan of braid for trout streams but not sure about rivers with lots of snags and sharp stuff. I broke off on two big cats today with 10# line. Palomer so i know it wasn't knot failure. Kind of how I quickly found out braid sucks for the ocean, even 50# was breaking, as it will slice like butter against oyster bed and coral. Probably would have been fine with my catfish pole.

Edited by user Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:31:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:48:02 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

The one that got away. That is what keeps us coming back. I did not plan on fishing tonight. But I was so itching to get back to the Cannon River. Jenn was with Matthew for cross country running class. A quick BLT, grab some frozen cut bait and I was out the door in on the Cannon in 30 minutes. Talked with TrippyTrouter who gave me really good advice on a northern MN stream I look forward to exploring for the first time while at a friend's cabin. Then the rain came down in sheets. I huddled under a tree but it was no use. I was soon soaked. As I got back to the car wouldn't you know it, the rain slowed down a little. Enough for me to say heck with it, fish in the rain.

Well the Cannon shot up an inch or two and the current seemed to pick up just a touch. Swirling wind, light rain, lightening, and a peek of sun now and then. It felt like a hot summer day and I was not going to give up. I put on a heaver bird's egg sinker, a #3 circle hook and cut chunks of frozen sucker. Frozen means they stay on the hook easier, at least initially. I find the tail and the mouth seem to be the most firm pieces so I leave those for the end. I lobbed the cut bait out to the deep pool and propped up with my big fork stick that had not moved since last time. I adjusted the secondary drag with the clicker and got the line tight to keep an eye out for any bites.

Shirt off, squeezing the water out, now hanging on the stick but more light rain still coming down. It was not long before I got three or four solid tugs and I picked up the rod, felt weight, and set the hook. Big beast ran all over but no match for the catfish pole with 50# line. Since I was not hearing drag I even loosened a touch just in case the fish was not hooked well. Nice and gentle. Such a shallow sandy spot that I wanted to beach the fish so I was pulling gently to the side versus straight up. Big powerful runs and kicks with his big tail splashing me but finally up on the beach. I carried him over to my supplies and grabbed my camera.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Check out the size 11 boot print...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

New personal best measuring 30.5" from the same spot I caught the 29" cat just two weeks ago. I let this guy go for another day.

Fishing in the light rain close to sunset surly paid off. And to think I almost packed up and went home. I think it was worth getting wet!
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Mark Dahlquist  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:47:38 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Got on the water 6:15 today. This guy hit stink bait at 6:45.

UserPostedImage

Measured 27" long. That flathead spoiled me as this guy seemed pretty easy to land.

UserPostedImage

I went to another spot after that and caught this 23" with a big belly. Was there all of five minutes before he hit cut sucker.

UserPostedImage

After that I went brook trout fishing. Well over 50 to hand in a couple hours most of which came from two pools. Normally 3-5 fish per pool they get spooked but not today. It was basically a fish or a bite every cast.

UserPostedImage

A fun half day of fishing! Perfect weather. Still felt like summer only lots of leaves already.

Edited by user Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:48:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
shebs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:25:29 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:

After that I went brook trout fishing. Well over 50 to hand in a couple hours most of which came from two pools. Normally 3-5 fish per pool they get spooked but not today. It was basically a fish or a bite every cast.
A fun half day of fishing! Perfect weather. Still felt like summer only lots of leaves already.

I was on what I assume was the same stream on Saturday - it was a beautiful day, and I had similar luck with the Brookies. I decided to check out the upstream access, where there is a nice deep plunge pool below the culvert on one of the feeder creeks. Pulled a couple of 12 inchers outta there, and a couple more out of the holes downstream from the crossing. Only landed about 20 total in the 5 hours I was on the water, but nothing beats a big beautiful brookie.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:27:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"