Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:43:54 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For cats I've kept track of 20"+ this summer. This is #8. Not bad for my first season targeting them. I've found cut sucker works well. The bag of dead I get has a variety. I've tried bullhead with no takers so far. My hunch is the sucker has more oils and better scent. I hear live bullhead are the bomb for flatheads but yet to get into them.

Anybody have success with cut bullhead for cats be it channel or flathead?

Trapper and others can you remind me some of the deeper pools at the mouth if trout streams spilling into the Kickapoo for alternate species such as cats?

2014 bigs: 8 cats, 7 browns. Cats take the lead!

UserPostedImage

25" length
UserPostedImage

14" girth
UserPostedImage

Weighed 6.5 pounds
UserPostedImage

But wait, maybe 0.5 pounds was eggs?
UserPostedImage

Hold the phone. What gives? I'm told June and maybe into July is when they spawn. Any ideas about this female cat not spawning?

Let's look at those eggs closer.
UserPostedImage

Same pool I caught the 31" and the 29" and a mess of other eater sized cats. Catfish Island rocks!

Edited by user Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:58:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:01:34 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Three ice cold Coronas on the island. Then a icy Moscow Mule upon returning home. Now time for a Saturday morning catfish fry.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:02:14 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Three ice cold Coronas on the island. Then a icy Moscow Mule upon returning home.

UserPostedImage

Now time for a Saturday morning catfish fry.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:15:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Nice Cat's. I saw your spot on the Cannon when I went through with a friend several weeks ago. Other than dealing with the aluminum hatch we thoroughly enjoyed it. Several Smallies to hand in an hour
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Pete  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:32:33 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'd think live bullheads would be better for flatheads than cut bullheads. Flatheads are a lot more fastidious eaters than their channel and blue cousins-I haven't heard of too many caught on cut or stink bait. I suppose much depends on local forage; around here, most of the serious flathead anglers use live bluegills.

Those eggs are huge. I wonder if the spawn isn't late, like everything else this year after the winter we had. When I did a lot more steelheading, I used to bump into an ancient local on the Indiana creeks. He'd fish for flatheads on weekends in the Kankakee and use their eggs-successfully- for steelhead during the week.
ozzyky  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:20:42 PM(UTC)
ozzyky

Man

Live bullheads and gills are bomb for flats after dark. Bigger channels will take them but for decent size stick to cut bait suckers or go to a resort and take the scraps in the fish cleaning house. Crawlers for numbers but limited size usually
Mark Dahlquist  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:23:28 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Thanks for the advice Pete. No flatheads in the Cannon that I know of. I guess channels not that picky and eat all kinds of cut bait. Hopefully one day I'll catch a flathead. Need to focus on bigger water for that namely the Mississippi in my area.

Kyle I have come to the same conclusion that cut bait best. So far sucker. You are right on about the smaller ones taking worms.

Edited by user Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:28:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
caster  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:55:57 AM(UTC)
caster

UserPostedImage

In my native kansas, I chased flathead almost exclusively. Everything from chucking pound weights in midcurrent, to trot lines, to jiggin. A lot of my fishing time was also spent with river rats who had 50+ years of experience. Now they have passed and almost all that information has gone with them.

One thing I learned from them is to fish live shad for flats and fresh cut shad for blues and channel. One hard thing about shad is finding them. I've thrown a damn cast net for hours on end just hoping for a few! When we couldn't find them, we resorted to gills, bullhead, or even big gold fish.

Another trick with any live bate is taking a knife and slitting them down their sides just light enough so they bleed. This puts off a good blood trail in the water especially fishing the tops of holes where you know the big ones lie. And always change up bait every 30 minutes. Gotta keep it fresh!

Seeing cats like this make me very nostalgic. This fall I plan on spending a few days with some guys I know fishing for flats on the Miss! Hopefully I can land a few!

Good luck cat chasing!

Levi

caster  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:58:04 AM(UTC)
caster

and p.s. - don't underestimate a big glob on night crawlers in early spring when the rivers are rising! You will still get the size! ;-)
flyfishingfreak  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 12:15:28 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

I used to fish for channels a bunch, cut buffalo carp was the most productive for me, I've caught them on cut bullhead but seem carp work a lot better. Chicken livers, crawlers and leeches all work too. I've caught big cats on worms and chicken livers. I think it's more about if you're fishing where the big fish live than the kind of bait, bigger cut bait can just help weed out the small fish. Also big channels will still eat a pretty big live bluegill.