Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 2:27:26 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the tips guys! Next time I catch carp and buffalo I will certainly keep for cut bait. Right now the suckers seems to be working just fine. I'm not sure about drum. No luck yet on those. Likewise the bullhead. So far sucker always works for me.

Caster what did that fish weigh? Wow! Tell me about your pole setup too. I'm all ears.

But regarding the location being more important than bait. I totally agree. The same pool I got the 25" on Friday and the 31" and 29" plus numerous other sized cats I went back today and caught this guy. Broad daylight around 11:30 am. Last night's rain made me want to sleep in. Then I realized the Cannon was not really up (generally delayed after a storm as it takes time to fill up).

27" long
UserPostedImage

14" wide
UserPostedImage

Unique spots
UserPostedImage

Plus he was hooked once before and broke the guy off. Another hook with a leader sticking out of his mouth.

Edited by user Monday, September 1, 2014 2:29:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 6:57:11 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
That's a nice looking cat Mark.

I recall when I was a kid, and would watch these old men fishing off the bridges on the Wisconsin River for Blues and Channel cats. They used stinky chicken guts and cut up suckers with huge hooks and big lead sinkers. Some of the cats they would drag out of there were enormous.

I drove through Boscobel earlier this summer, and sure enough, there were a couple of boats anchored up just below the bridge pulling in one after another. The cats stack up in the channel under the bridge. Don't think they allow fishing off those bridges anymore.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
donjuan  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:00:59 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Three ice cold Coronas on the island. Then a icy Moscow Mule upon returning home.

UserPostedImage

Now time for a Saturday morning catfish fry.

Moscow Mule! ThumpUp

So Mark, where does catfish rank on your preferred fish entree list?
Mark Dahlquist  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:33:05 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Quote:
So Mark, where does catfish rank on your preferred fish entree list?

Well I've got more catfish than trout in the freezer if that says anything. I'd say walleye family, then crappies and sunnies, then panfish, followed by brook trout.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
caster  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:06:45 AM(UTC)
caster

Mark - That fish was 64. Sorry to post it in this thread, but sometimes you gotta so people believe ya!

I have a few cat rods. I have 3 Cabelas Phil King Series rods. 1 extra heavy, 2 medium heavy. Then I have a Berkly E-Cat. And another big river rod that I got in AR. It's a 14 ft pool cue and is for chucking weight a country mile. All rods are paired with abu garcia bait casters. I've got a few 6600's, a 6600 record cast, and a 7000 big game. All rods except the 14 footer have 80-100 lb powerpro. The 14 footer has 30 lb big game mono.
MikeJuran  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:21:58 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

caster wrote:

In my native kansas, I chased flathead almost exclusively. Everything from chucking pound weights in midcurrent, to trot lines, to jiggin. A lot of my fishing time was also spent with river rats who had 50+ years of experience. Now they have passed and almost all that information has gone with them.

One thing I learned from them is to fish live shad for flats and fresh cut shad for blues and channel. One hard thing about shad is finding them. I've thrown a damn cast net for hours on end just hoping for a few! When we couldn't find them, we resorted to gills, bullhead, or even big gold fish.

Another trick with any live bate is taking a knife and slitting them down their sides just light enough so they bleed. This puts off a good blood trail in the water especially fishing the tops of holes where you know the big ones lie. And always change up bait every 30 minutes. Gotta keep it fresh!

Seeing cats like this make me very nostalgic. This fall I plan on spending a few days with some guys I know fishing for flats on the Miss! Hopefully I can land a few!

Good luck cat chasing!

Levi

nice Levi ....
Fly Me A River
caster  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:39:41 AM(UTC)
caster

nice Levi ....

Thanks, mike.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it only seems fair to mention some of these guys who passed. One was even was given tribute in In-Fisherman. I didn't know Tom, but fished with his close friend Catfish John. John passed one year after I met him. He died of cancer. Even to his dying day, he smoked like a freight train and chewed tobacco at the same time!

Their stories were incredible...

http://www.in-fisherman....rns-the-king-of-the-kaw/
mjager0  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:33:15 AM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

I've caught two 35+ inch flatheads this summer on cut bluegill and one on live bluegill. As far as channel cats go, both live and cut bait of just about any panfish/rough fish has worked for me, even cut channel cat(canibals!ThumbDown ). One time I caught a 20+ inch channel on a piece of venison jerky. I think anything that leaves a scent trail could work, when your options are limited its worth it to just throw what you have in the water and see what happens.

- Matt
Instagram
Mark Dahlquist  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:14:57 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Is cut channel legal for bait in WI or other states? In MN it's considered a gamefish so no however I bet the organs would work well.

Related Eddie and I are going to try for some channels on Friday. The goal is to catch a few for a catfish fry at Trap Fest II. I looked up the WI limit and it's 25? Wow. MN reg is 5.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
flyfishingfreak  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:34:27 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

Mark- in wisconsin you can use gamefish as bait, they just have to count into your daily bag limit.