Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

50 Pages«<4546474849>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#461 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:32:46 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
^I agree on the city limits stuff, 100%. It’s nice to show people that catching fish isn’t impossible in urban areas. He did a cool episode on Milwaukee I really enjoyed. I just don’t get him losing his mind on coming up short on one nice, but unremarkable fish.

Then again, I’ve never understood the fascination with Bass. I like them, but there are 4-5 genus groups that give me far more joy. I’ll take Panfish over Bass frankly.

The Lindners did a Nipigon episode I’ve rewatched 4-5 times. Love it. They always try new stuff, they’re not just focused on Bass and Walleye either.

A lot of the shows these days are just repetitive. Bass on plastics, Walleye on Lindy rigs, Musky on bucktails. Rinse and repeat...

I wish there were more shows with spin anglers as dedicated to pursuing Trophy native Trout in remote reaches, as fly anglers doing the same thing. I feel like a square peg in a round hole. I lot of the destinations I’d love to fish are fly only... I know how to fly fish, but the suggestion that I can’t spin fish at all means they’ll never get my $. Not over my dead body.

I'll say this for bluegill vs. largemouth but smallmouth win out as my favorite fish to catch on just being in cool locations alone. Dinking around in rocky rivers up north with smallmouth is a dream.

What I've never understood is hardcore walleye fisherman. That's a lot of tactics to pull in a fish that fights like a log.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 11/15/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#462 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:32:49 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
I don't get the walleye thing either other than to eat - they are the best of freshwater imo.

Going to Ontario next summer east of Dryden somewhere that I haven't been yet and one of the selling points was that I could get 50-100 walleyes in a day.

Why would I want to?

You can only bring 4 home to the U.S. and after you get your shore lunch...

Honestly some of the most boring fish not only to target (bounce a minnow/jig head off bottom), but also on the fight.

I said that after I get my 4, I want to go after muskie, pike and smallies. Evidently, there are lots of smallies. Can do it "all day" apparently. Now we're talking!

Don't understand those who don't give largemouth any credit. Obviously, I've caught a few trout and I honestly don't see enough difference pound for pound to write off largemouth fishing, especially topwater.

Sure, trout are better fighters, but not THAT much better. I've had some really fun battles with largies and I really enjoy targeting them. Of course I use a light rod and 8lb test, which likely makes them more fun for me than the guys using heavier gear.

To each their own though of course.

Obviously smallies would be my preference, but I really don't know where to consistently find them down here.

Edited by user Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:41:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#463 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:54:58 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Confluence Go to Quoted Post
Where are all of these destinatons that are fly only?
The only fly-fish only water that I have ever heard of are located in mainland Michigan, are there many more locales?

Lots of trophy Brook Trout water in Labrador and Quebec is fly only, just from the lodges themselves. Freakin annoying... Ontario is far more spin friendly.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#464 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:06:30 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I don't get the walleye thing either other than to eat - they are the best of freshwater imo.

Going to Ontario next summer east of Dryden somewhere that I haven't been yet and one of the selling points was that I could get 50-100 walleyes in a day.

Why would I want to?

Honestly some of the most boring fish not only to target (bounce a minnow/jig head off bottom), but also on the fight.

I said that after I get my 4, I want to go after muskie, pike and smallies. Evidently, there are lots of smallies. Can do it "all day" apparently. Now we're talking!

Don't understand those who don't give largemouth any credit. Obviously, I've caught a few trout and I honestly don't see enough difference pound for pound to write off largemouth fishing, especially topwater.

Sure, trout are better fighters, but not THAT much better. I've had some really fun battles with largies and I really enjoy targeting them. Of course I use a light rod and 8lb test, which likely makes them more fun for me than the guys using heavier gear.

Obviously smallies would be my preference, but I really don't know where to consistently find them down here.

Agree on Walleye. Smallmouth are fun, they pull you around, I just got enough of it as a kid in northern Michigan. They’re so easy to catch around my house that the appeal isn’t that great personally.

I’ll give any fish credit. I just much prefer fishing cold, fast water for Brook and Rainbow Trout. I think a large part of it is the setting frankly. I also don’t like dealing with 40 other people when the best fish I can expect to catch is 4 lbs. Salmon is a different animal but even then I can only take so much. I’m 23 but turning into a grouchy old man.

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#465 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:09:28 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Meant smallies over largies

Trout are obviously my first choice and psssion.

Regarding crowds going after bass, I’ve been fortunate to find a lot of productive small water that I often have to myself.
Jumpsuit  
#466 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:15:15 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It may just be me but alot if has to do with the region and the environment you're in. Since so much of fishing is finding meaning and accomplishment in you're life have a challenge always adds to that sense of purpose. Finding the most remote trout streams and giant wild browns and constantly failing is one . But also living in Iowa where giant farm pond largemouth bass and panfish are a dime a dozen and caught any evening you want don't add much allure. However, catching walleyes, Flatheads, and paddlefish in heavy fished, polluted and channellized small rivers you fail at 90 percent of the time adds an element of challenge and something to work towards and obsess about. Then again, if I lived in northern Minnesota in walleye Disneyland that sense of challenge would be alot different and I may wanna persue something more challenging altogether.

Cheers
stan b  
#467 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 11:12:39 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Why would I want to?

Mr Gurth,
We have an outstanding small mouth bass resource very near us here in MILWAUKEE.
I've always had great success on that resource.
Learned about it while playing in a softball tournament at Firemans Park many years back.
I get on that river at least once every fall.

It is beautiful and quiet with lots of smallies.

Stan b

Edited by user Thursday, November 15, 2018 11:14:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
Gurth on 11/15/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#468 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:41:32 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Stan!

Sounds great.

If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly I think I know where to go.

Looks great in Tosa but have never fished it.

Edited by user Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:45:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

weiliwen  
#469 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:53:28 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Back west there are a lot of places that are fly-only designated. Some specifically say that, but others have regulations that basically require you to fly fish only. My favorite stream in Washington State has 3 reservoirs on it; on the 25 or so miles above them, the rules are "single, barbless hook, no bait. That technically means you could fish spinners with a single barbless hook, but in practice, 99% of the legal fishing (lots of poaching by the local Ukranian population) is done with a fly.

But near here, I haven't seen any.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#470 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:36:46 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Back west there are a lot of places that are fly-only designated. Some specifically say that, but others have regulations that basically require you to fly fish only. My favorite stream in Washington State has 3 reservoirs on it; on the 25 or so miles above them, the rules are "single, barbless hook, no bait. That technically means you could fish spinners with a single barbless hook, but in practice, 99% of the legal fishing (lots of poaching by the local Ukranian population) is done with a fly.

But near here, I haven't seen any.

A section of the Peshtigo was fly only for a long time, but has been artificial only for a while now. Beautiful spot.

I’d love to get into that Quebec stuff. I assume if you were willing to go single barbless they’d let you do it, away from the other guests😝