Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

50 Pages«<484950
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#491 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:45:47 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
What I meant by "where are the steelheads" is that I haven't seen any yet.

Visited my 2 favorite tribs yesterday after a pheasant hunt with my buddy Elvis.
Saw a few pretty beat up fish (1 was a good 24"+), some dead ones on the banks.
A few older "reds" but saw no sign of steelheads.

It seems that some are coming in by now.

Am I still early?

Stan b

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
NBrevitz  
#492 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 2:01:53 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sasquatch Go to Quoted Post
Yes i agree..steelhead are frickin finger lickin good.. But how many legal steelhead does one catch in a season?? only being able to legally possess 2 26+inch steelhead in a freezer kinda makes for a meager freezer.

Coho...its whats for dinner!!

26 is a small fish in Milwaukee. And, on the hatchery fisheries, the minimum size is well below the smallest fish you’d catch.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#493 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 12:42:47 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Sasquatch can't catch a legal steelie without my JuJu! hahahaha!
Gurth  
#494 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 4:05:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 86 post(s)
So… was looking for something else on the TV last night trout related in YT and saw a familiar face in the scroll. That looks like Ron…

Started watching the vid and it was Ron and Squatch fishing for Salmon last fall (iirc).

First off… beautiful up there. I checked out the Bois a couple of times, but never for long and never with much success but was likely in the wrong areas and it was June, so probably no salmon. I was looking for trout though.

Anyway… my question is why do those salmon seem to be actively eating much like a stream trout?

When I fished for them last fall in SE WI, they were not actively hunting and were very hard to entice.

Gonna have to go up there one of these years and give it a real shot.

Wife sat and watched it with me. Was mesmerized by Squatch... Laugh
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#495 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:29:10 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
my question is why do those salmon seem to be actively eating much like a stream trout?

When I fished for them last fall in SE WI, they were not actively hunting and were very hard to entice.

Gonna have to go up there one of these years and give it a real shot.

They aren’t actively feeding in the sense of hunting prey. They get aggressive and territorial in those small streams, and it’s also a case of reflex. If you buzz the same fish enough times with a spinner, eggs, whatever, they’ll probably hit it out of annoyance. My favorite Salmon from last fall tried to take the rod out of my hand, after I’d already put 50 casts through his pool and landed several Trout in the process!

Not to mention, some of the pools on squatch’s Creek will have 30-40 fish in them at a time. So if you’re the first one there that day, you can probably piss at least one or two of them off enough to eat.

Also, you hit the Root with crashing water temps, which causes fish to panick and rush upstream to drop eggs. I was there several days before with stabile temps, and managed to land 6-7 fish in 5 hours, losing a couple more. All artificials too.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#496 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 7:17:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

I've said it before, those two should have their own Sunday morning fishing show. Get Jack Links to sponsor it...

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
rschmidt  
#497 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:00:05 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Nick hit it on the head. Salmon strikes are definitely territory-based. Those cohos are vicious and they're attacking things that could eat eggs, interfere with potential spawning and are just plain pissed off on thier final destination. I can vouch that the salmon are pound for pound the best attack hitting inland fresh water fish. They tend to wrap and roll versus diving, running or jumping. The steelies definitely tug jump and dive with more vigor, but the salmon own the rod lurching hard ass hits. Happy Fishing and keep watching my videos. I need a new reel. Hahahaha. Happy Fishing.
rschmidt  
#498 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 11:26:32 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Oh I Forgot. The chum line Sasquatch leaves while wading is a hyperbolic salmon attractant! Hahaha. Ron

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 11:27:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sasquatch  
#499 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 4:36:17 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hey guys..

Yeah, nick and ron really answered that salmon bite question perfectly.

Gurth- u should def. give the northwoods salmon run another go this fall. When the conditions are right and the fish are in, its phreakin epic.

Bill- id do it in a heartbeat! Jacklinks could even pay me in jerky!

Ron- some ppl say that salmon can "smell" there way back to their home stream... I think they may just be smelling "Eau de Squatch".
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
William Schlafer  
#500 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:16:43 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sasquatch Go to Quoted Post

Ron- some ppl say that salmon can "smell" there way back to their home stream... I think they may just be smelling "Eau de Squatch".

See, right there's another biz opportunity! Contact those "Bait Mate" guys ASAP.

BigGrin

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos