Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorminNorman  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:12:47 AM(UTC)
StorminNorman

Sweet fish man!!

I'm planning on taking a day off within the next couple weeks and heading up to the Milwaukee river. Never been or swung flies for the big boys before. Any tips on where to go/what to throw? I'm probably going to pick up a cheap 8 wt. cabela's combo.

Any advice is appreciated!

- Norm
turbomike15  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:03:48 PM(UTC)
turbomike15

StorminNorman wrote:
Sweet fish man!!

I'm planning on taking a day off within the next couple weeks and heading up to the Milwaukee river. Never been or swung flies for the big boys before. Any tips on where to go/what to throw? I'm probably going to pick up a cheap 8 wt. cabela's combo.

Any advice is appreciated!

- Norm

I hope I'm not hot-spotting anyone's honey hole Flapper

This fish was caught just downstream of this waterfall. My understanding is not a lot of fish get above that barrier.

8 wt will be a little light for big kings but in the sweet range for steelheads. I was using an 8 wt for this fish, but felt under gunned.

What to throw? Big and ugly, egg patterns, stoneflys. Depends on who you talk to. If you talk to the wrong guy on the Milwaukee, he'll tell you put a lot of weight on and a treble ThumbDown

kschaefer3  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:18:01 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

turbomike15 - I don't think that park is a huge secret, so you should be safe.

StorminNorman - I think you'll be fine with an 8 wt. I've caught plenty of kings out of the Sheboygan and Milwaukee without an issue, and my 8 wt is a cheap Cabela's rod. If you were going to be in Alaska where a 100 lb king is possible, my advice may differ, but it may not. I know several guys who fish the Eerie tribs for steelhead up to 15 lbs with a 6 wt. Rod size does not necessarily equate to fish size, more the size of fly.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:19:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

StorminNorman  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:29:41 PM(UTC)
StorminNorman

Thanks guys, much appreciated! Took off work next Friday and am gonna head up there. The biggest fish I've ever caught on a fly rod is an 18" brown, so I'm pretty pumped up for a chance to hook something big! I'll let you know how I do.
kschaefer3  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:57:15 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

StorminNorman wrote:
Thanks guys, much appreciated! Took off work next Friday and am gonna head up there. The biggest fish I've ever caught on a fly rod is an 18" brown, so I'm pretty pumped up for a chance to hook something big! I'll let you know how I do.

Good luck, PM sent.
turbomike15  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:07:26 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

StorminNorman wrote:

Good luck!
curtR32  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 12:02:04 PM(UTC)
curtR32

Man

StorminNorman wrote:

Best of luck Stormin! Just remember, the fish is strong than you. Don't get alarmed when it books ass down stream. It will probably eventually turn around and come back up towards you. Also, if you snag one by accident in the tail or dorsal fin, good luck. It's best to try and break the hook lose because if the Salmon is fresh, it will probably spool you pending that it decides to go downstream.

Nice fish Turbo! I would say that it's a Coho because King's have black gums. Really strange looking Coho though.
NG_Trout  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 7:55:29 AM(UTC)
NG_Trout

Any Milwaukee members have an update on river conditions? Did the warm weather this past weekend break up ice on the river?
- Hope is not a strategy
Skimmer  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 9:16:21 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Should be breaking up quick...as of right now frozen solid from West Bend down as far as Thiensville. Haven't been further south in a few days but I would suspect the same. Maybe another week?

Edited by user Monday, March 9, 2015 9:20:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified