Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jandl  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 1:51:28 PM(UTC)
Jandl

Hi everyone,

With the trout season finished here (too early as always!) in Wisconsin, I've turned fully to other species--musky, mainly, but also bass and pike. I'm considering getting out with a friend tomorrow on the Galena River (also known as the Fever, I gather) for smallmouths. We'll be bringing fly rods and a selection of flies from poppers to crayfish patterns. Does anyone have any particular suggestions or experiences on this river that they'd be willing to share? Also, I've heard it holds numbers of fish, not big ones; is there anywhere nearby where we might also go looking for bigger fish?

Thanks in advance!

Nathan
inland sweep  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 8:02:51 PM(UTC)
inland sweep

Way too cold for poppers. Fever is really fun in the summer for smallmouth and pike. I'd throw large streamers during the fall.
BeadHeaded  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:52:45 PM(UTC)
BeadHeaded

I've fished there quite a bit this year. Average size is probably 8-9", but there are fish of size in there, too. I usually catch a few in the 14-15" range, and while I haven't landed one yet I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20"+ fish in there, either.

Streamers are your best bet, though with the cooler temps it'll probable be a little slow. Mid-summer it wouldn't be hard to have a 100-fish day.

Plenty of smallie water just west of there...
Jandl  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:46:34 AM(UTC)
Jandl

Thanks for the helpful replies! We ended up spending a fair amount of time looking for good water on the Little Platte, so my time on the Galena was more limited. The cold water definitely seemed to have the fish a bit sluggish, though we managed a handful of smallies up to 10" and a bunch of chubs. Water was low and clear, too. Fish came mainly on buggers and small crawfish nymphs. So we didn't get it quite right, but it was still fun, and a gorgeous day.
BeadHeaded  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:37:03 AM(UTC)
BeadHeaded

Hey, who spilled the beans on the Little Platte...? :)

I do like that stream, but as you've found you have to search for the good spots. Once you've found them, though, they tend to be pretty reliable.

LP tends to produce better when water is stained. My best day there was when the water looked almost as thick as a milkshake. Low numbers, big average size.
Jandl  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:57:34 AM(UTC)
Jandl

I believe this is the emoticon I should probably use... Blushing

Definitely a river that takes some searching to learn, and I still have a lot of learning to do! My buddy and I made a similar predication about stained water--seems like it would be ideal about 24 hours after a good rain. Pretty cool that you had such good luck during such muddy flows. I may have to return this spring when the water's up!

FryinPanDan  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:36:35 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

Funny, I just had a little chat with someone at Orvis today about the Galena and Platte, and the report was very similar to Beadheaded's Wink

A little creek in my neck of the woods produced a nice smallie using a mouse today, so I wouldn't say the top water game is completely out of the question.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:39:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
Jandl  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:36:04 AM(UTC)
Jandl

Awesome. A chunk!
BeadHeaded  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 6:18:26 PM(UTC)
BeadHeaded

That guy at Orvis better keep his mouth shut before he gives away all his fishin' holes...

I like the reel, Dan. Looks like a Medalist, but the logo suggests something else (can't make it out).

Caught this one at LP a few weeks ago. A glutton, this one was. (I think it's a garter snake).

UserPostedImage

FryinPanDan  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 6:46:52 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

BeadHeaded wrote:
That guy at Orvis better keep his mouth shut before he gives away all his fishin' holes...

I like the reel, Dan. Looks like a Medalist, but the logo suggests something else (can't make it out).

Caught this one at LP a few weeks ago. A glutton, this one was. (I think it's a garter snake).

UserPostedImage

I know nothing of bass habits. Do they typically start stuffing themselves before winter like other wildlife?

The reel is and old Cortland, a gift from Len Harris. Awesomely noisy click praw.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage