Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 6:23:49 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Absolutely a King, steelhead are much prettier.
turbomike15  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:17:14 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

Anyone been out yet? Water levels look like they are down and the ice will be out. Lake-Link doesn't show promising results for the Milwaukee but it looks like Steelhead are moving into Oak Cr. How about the Root?

Thanks
curtR32  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:20:23 AM(UTC)
curtR32

Man

You would think that all of the ice would be gone by now right? I caught Steelies last year at Oak Creek on May 6th so there is a good chance that they'll be in there for a while.
turbomike15  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:29:53 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

curtR32 wrote:
You would think that all of the ice would be gone by now right? I caught Steelies last year at Oak Creek on May 6th so there is a good chance that they'll be in there for a while.

I took a look last weekend and there was still a fair amount of ice around Kletzsch but the USGS data indicates the ice is mainly out. Flows look to be down to normal levels as well...
EddieRivard  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:12:50 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Dan Small posted some photos on his Dan Small Outdoors Facebook page last night of some big fish that were caught in a Lake Michigan trip yesterday.
turbomike15  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:03:16 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

EddieRivard wrote:
Dan Small posted some photos on his Dan Small Outdoors Facebook page last night of some big fish that were caught in a Lake Michigan trip yesterday.

So now you got me thinking about the Root. Seems like Saturday could be good.
browntrout  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 10:08:29 AM(UTC)
browntrout

Steelhead report ...

As of Thursday 4/23 the Milwaukee River is still too high to safely wade in (at least at Estabrook Park)

Oak Creek (which is actually in South Milwaukee) was very hot. This was my fourth time there this year. Saw more steelhead than any time before. Saw them caught on spoons, flies, egg sacks, small shrimp (looked like popcorm shrimp from the grocery store), and a small white tube jig with a wax worm. The pool at the waterfall at Mill Rd and Oak Creek Parkway was very good.

My take is that the season is going a little longer this year. The big rain and colder temps have not warmed the river. It was 48 - 49 degrees at the end of this week. I expect them to be in there until the water reaches 54 or 55 degrees. It should be good fishing through next weekend.

I caught this one. 25" 5 lbs. I drifted a artificial Berkeley power bait orange egg sack on a hook with a yarn egg sack tied on to the top of the hook.

UserPostedImage
Mark
browntrout@aol.com
http://fishingwisconsintrout.blogspot.com/
Use a rubber net. Handle your fish carefully. More trout are killed each year by facebook photos than most anything!
turbomike15  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 11:37:49 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

browntrout wrote:
Steelhead report ...

As of Thursday 4/23 the Milwaukee River is still too high to safely wade in (at least at Estabrook Park)

Oak Creek (which is actually in South Milwaukee) was very hot. This was my fourth time there this year. Saw more steelhead than any time before. Saw them caught on spoons, flies, egg sacks, small shrimp (looked like popcorm shrimp from the grocery store), and a small white tube jig with a wax worm. The pool at the waterfall at Mill Rd and Oak Creek Parkway was very good.

My take is that the season is going a little longer this year. The big rain and colder temps have not warmed the river. It was 48 - 49 degrees at the end of this week. I expect them to be in there until the water reaches 54 or 55 degrees. It should be good fishing through next weekend.

I caught this one. 25" 5 lbs. I drifted a artificial Berkeley power bait orange egg sack on a hook with a yarn egg sack tied on to the top of the hook.

UserPostedImage

So was this out of oak Creek or Milwaukee?
browntrout  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 5:18:12 PM(UTC)
browntrout

sorry....should have made that clear. Oak Creek.
Mark
browntrout@aol.com
http://fishingwisconsintrout.blogspot.com/
Use a rubber net. Handle your fish carefully. More trout are killed each year by facebook photos than most anything!
zachisageek  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:12:32 PM(UTC)
zachisageek

I've only seen steel in Oak Creek, they were all over this week. Are the other rivers getting hot now too?