Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanE  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:40:46 AM(UTC)
DanE

Thought it would be cool to share what everyone has for tying and maybe we can all benefit from each others ideas of how to organize the mess that comes with tying. I will go first and hopefully not last! I originally built this bench for making musky bucktails about 15 years ago. I got sick of not being able to get the colors I wanted, so I started making my own silicone skirted bucktails. As you can see from the one photo, I still have a bunch hanging on the wall. The Flashabou was also purchased for musky, when that became a trend, but has proven useful for fly tying too. The bench has just recently been converted 100% to fly tying. If you look close, you will see the 40 year old sunrise vise that my dad originally used to tie jigs back in the day. Probably, will upgrade soon, but works for now. This is the cleaned up version for photos, typically tools, wire, thread and more feathers than you would find at a cockfighting ring are scattered everywhere. The harley davidson coffee can doubles as a garbage can and streamer hanger.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Josey Wales  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:31:06 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

Nice bench. I should strive to be that organized.
kschaefer3  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:59:23 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Josey Wales wrote:

You and me both. My tying bench is a desk covered in loose fur, feather and flash with 20-30 flies that are half complete or waiting to be cut up and retied. My organizational system is a large Rubbermaid tote that I dump on my floor and sift through packages of materials...
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:00:04 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

kschaefer3 wrote:
Josey Wales wrote:

You and me both. My tying bench is a desk covered in loose fur, feather and flash with 20-30 flies that are half complete or waiting to be cut up and retied. My organizational system is a large Rubbermaid tote that I dump on my floor and sift through packages of materials...

This coming from someone who's musky fly box is a large plastic bag. Laugh
flyfishingfreak  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:49:04 AM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
Josey Wales wrote:

mine's a box of fly tying stuff, and i generally use the lid of the box to tie on... someday i'll have an actual tying bench.
DanE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:28:04 PM(UTC)
DanE

flyfishingfreak wrote:
kschaefer3 wrote:
Josey Wales wrote:

mine's a box of fly tying stuff, and i generally use the lid of the box to tie on... someday i'll have an actual tying bench.

I have a nice desk for trade in a thread below. Cost is little to nothing, whatever you would like to trade, could be as little as a few flies. It was just too nice to put to the curb.
DanE  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:31:28 PM(UTC)
DanE

kschaefer3 wrote:
Josey Wales wrote:

Note the butane torch/lighter on the top of the drawers. Used to use for powdercoating jigheads, now works great for burning up the remains of the flies that need to be retied. Just have to be careful not to get the hook too hot.
fish4life  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:04:52 PM(UTC)
fish4life

I'll be the 2nd.
Not as nicly organized but works for me...
Doubles as a map room hope everybody can't zoom in on the maps and see my secret spots. lol

UserPostedImage
>>~}}}}}}'>
DanE  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:20:00 PM(UTC)
DanE

fish4life wrote:
I'll be the 2nd.
Not as nicly organized but works for me...
Doubles as a map room hope everybody can't zoom in on the maps and see my secret spots. lol

UserPostedImage

Nice! Mine may be organized, but your inventory is well more "mature" than mine is.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:30:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
UserPostedImage

A work in progress.

I'm designing a bench top organizer with drawers and nooks to store my stuff. Heading to a local fly shop this weekend to go on a buying binge for hooks and materials. Will set up my spare laptop on the bench to watch tying videos. Also need to pick up a good adjustable height chair.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos