Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trippytrouter  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:29:56 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

This one?
That rock has headshakes!
DanE  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:30:22 PM(UTC)
DanE

As I was grocery shopping for the family last night, I had a light bulb go on when I was picking up the hillshire farms ham and turkey. Those plastic containers look to be a nice medium size box for feathers, herl, etc. that you don't need a bigger cigar box or similar size container.Think I will have to start saving them.
William Schlafer  
#33 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:55:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Finished moving my fly tying bench out of the spare bedroom and into the little den/office space off the living room.

UserPostedImage

Built a desktop organizer to hold the plastic boxes for the small items. A couple of big plastic drawers to store the bigger stuff. The Daylight Magnifier light has a 7" lens, which is really handy for tying those small flies. Added a laptop extension arm mount for an old laptop computer which allows me to swing it out of the way when not needed. Handy for quick and easy access to the DTA website and those YouTube tying videos. Also put a small vacuum under the bench for quick clean up of those pesky bits of feathers and other tying debris.

Finished off the setup with a new Renzetti vise that I picked up last night. Tied a few Wooly Buggers and they turned out pretty good I think.
UserPostedImage

Now I'm ready for those long winter days and nights of fly tying!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MikeJuran  
#34 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 8:55:29 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Bill - like the setup, very nice, very organized .... I took Kyle's advice awhile back and got Renzetti Traveler as well .... but I moved my fly tying indoors into one of the rooms in the basement. Tying in the garage was a bit too warm or too cold on occasion.

UserPostedImage

My brother-in-law donated a old but very functional Regal vice to me a couple months ago as he isn't tying anymore. I found it handy having the 2nd vice, I use the Regal with a special foam tying tool to build the basic body, slide it off the tool and then the Renzetti is setup for the hopper hooks to finish the tying. This is a hopper pattern that uses two pieces of like cut foam for the body, so the butt end gets tied on the tool, slide off and then put on the hook.

UserPostedImage
Fly Me A River
William Schlafer  
#35 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 3:25:00 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Still working on my fly tying bench feng shui. Upgraded the storage a bit last fall - never seems to be enough.

UserPostedImage

I mounted an old laptop computer to a bench mount stand that I liberated from the dumpster at work and fixed it up. Comes in handy following fly tying videos on the net, keeping track of DTA happenings, or streaming Badger hockey & basketball games.

I mounted a small vacuum in wooden box (just out of the photo on the lower right) to muffle the sound. Wired it to an outlet switch on the side of the bench. Comes in handy keeping things tidy.

And of course, the indispensable Daylight Magnifier Lamp, which makes it possible for me to see what I'm doing. I also added a floor lamp which bounces light off the ceiling to brighten up the nook.

Some of my favorite photos of DTA members hang on the wall to inspire me.
UserPostedImage

Not a bad place to spend cold winter evenings.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Skimmer  
#36 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 10:45:30 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Wow, I just ordered a ton more supplies. I'll post when I start tying again. I live in the more functional world...you guys with the ocd benches are stressing me out.
rcrfc  
#37 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 12:10:58 AM(UTC)
rcrfc

Here is mine...
UserPostedImage
ilikefood  
#38 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 5:44:50 AM(UTC)
ilikefood

That's a real nice tying bench. Gives me some good ideas to improve mine. Thanks for posting!
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
William Schlafer  
#39 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 8:13:03 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Skimmer wrote:
Wow, I just ordered a ton more supplies. I'll post when I start tying again. I live in the more functional world...you guys with the ocd benches are stressing me out.

Good thing I didn't show you my garage. Smile

-Bill
DanE  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:30:03 PM(UTC)
DanE

I made a few updates to mine, including adding way more storage and cutting back the 2 lower shelves so I can put my legs under and sit when I tie. I am also putting foam on the wall for tied fly storage, replacing the musky/pike hardware that I made when I was big into musky fishing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage