Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:14:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Nice Dan!

Those musky flies look deadly. Someday I'm going to give that a try.

I like that can of bird feathers on the top shelf. This hobby makes you do funny things. I find myself slowing down when I see dead animals along the road, looking for possible fly tying materials.

RollEyes

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
HookJaw  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:25:48 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Bill! Love the new rank of SUPER FLY !!! That is Bad eFFin' Ass!

If you need to borrow, I have Super Fly on 8-Track, Vinyl, and CD. [I am actually serious.][...and a big-time-nerd-record-collector]

Congrats on the promotion!ThumpUp

Edited by user Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:30:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
William Schlafer  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:47:06 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Thanks to Eddie for coming with the new ranking.

I'm going to really date myself, but I actually remember seeing this movie - at a drive-in theater no less.

It was pretty controversial in the small cow town I grew up in. The movie contained a certain swear word that starts with "F" and was used liberally throughout the film. The drive-in owner didn't know this and he pulled the movie after only one screening, due to the uproar from the bible thumping locals.

I thought it was a pretty bad-ass movie. Stickin it to the man! BigGrin

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
HookJaw  
#44 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 8:34:54 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

That's awesome!
I dated myself there too, using terms like 8-track and vinyl. Sad

Edited by user Friday, February 3, 2017 8:36:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
William Schlafer  
#45 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:14:23 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

HookJaw wrote:

That's awesome!
I dated myself there too, using terms like 8-track and vinyl. Sad

I amaze my younger friends when I let them listen to my LPs. Highly compressed digital music that they've ears have grown accustom too sounds totally different when played on vinyl. Back in 1975 I paid more for my first turntable and cartridge (Dual 704 with a Stanton 981s) than I did for my first car.

I still have the turntable. The car is long gone!

-Bill
WiScottBrook  
#46 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 10:58:27 AM(UTC)
WiScottBrook

A bit ashamed but poor college kid status.

UserPostedImage
EddieRivard  
#47 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 11:04:50 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
WiScottBrook wrote:

Nothing to be ashamed of WiScottBrook. Some of the best tiers in the world have ghettofied set ups like yours. On the same token there are some guys who spend a bunch of time and money creating the most perfect looking fly tying Taj Mahal and they can barely tie a Wooly Worm that looks half decent.

Guys like yourself are the future of the DTA.
UserPostedImage

ThumpUp

Here's my setup today as I tie a few while watching the Golden Gophers rip it up on Illinois. I just set up a portable table in front of the television. It's about as settled in as I ever get these days. Next week I'll be in another State doing tying demonstrations for an eager audience.

UserPostedImage
LOL

Edited by user Saturday, February 4, 2017 2:35:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Trouts  
#48 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 2:22:46 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

No need to be ashamed at all. This is one of my favorite videos because the RS2 is such a popular pattern and Rim Chung is still tying it on a pair of hemostates.

Edited by user Saturday, February 4, 2017 2:25:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
Skimmer  
#49 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:33:23 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Kitchen table / fly bench / work shop
William Schlafer  
#50 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:24:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Took the opportunity last night to clean up my fly bench and reorganize things a bit.

I think I've got the storage part figured out: lots and lots of plastic cases! The larger plastic drawers are handy for dubbing, feathers, tools and other bulky materials. The thread rack on the wall is handy to keep all the spooled thread and wires sorted out and easy to get to. Under the bench is a small vacuum with a long slender hose that makes cleaning up debris a snap. Sorting and organizing all this stuff out feeds my compulsive side.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I've got about a dozen plastic cases filled with flies that I've tied over the years. Many of these I'll never use. So I sorted out the ones I wanted to keep from the less desirable ones and arranged them on foam sheets. I typically have to tie a pattern about a dozen times before I'm satisfied with the end result, so I end up with lots of orphans. These will go into my brothers rummage sale next month and hopefully someone will catch some fish with them.
UserPostedImage

-Bill
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 3/12/2018(UTC)