Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Milwaukee River Options
Grooty1515
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2014 11:05:43 PM

Once again I come back to try to pick your minds. So today 11/2 was a pretty nice day so I decided to try my first attempt and catching a lake run brown or salmon. I was out there for several hours and saw 4 fish, dont know if that is a lot but it was cool to see. Now here is the thing, I went out and bought some egg patterns, and some egg sacks, I was floating them down with a float. I also have some streamers (purple and pink). I think this is a good start but I really have no idea what I am doing. I was fishing at Estabrook park. The problem is I feel like what I am doing is just hoping something might be there maybe. And if it is I don't know what I am fishing with will entice a bite.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fish, when to fish, spots on the river to look for calm water faster water. I just moved to the milwaukee area and wouldnt mind enjoying the outdoor activities it provides.
NBrevitz
#2 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 12:50:24 AM

Basically, you've got the right idea. Look for holding water, so slack water, eddies, where faster water meets with slower water, neck downs, deep holes, and spawning gravel. Either swing the eggs like a wet fly with some shot, or drift under a slip float
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
LenH
#3 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 12:54:49 AM

Grooty1515 wrote:
Once again I come back to try to pick your minds. So today 11/2 was a pretty nice day so I decided to try my first attempt and catching a lake run brown or salmon. I was out there for several hours and saw 4 fish, dont know if that is a lot but it was cool to see. Now here is the thing, I went out and bought some egg patterns, and some egg sacks, I was floating them down with a float. I also have some streamers (purple and pink). I think this is a good start but I really have no idea what I am doing. I was fishing at Estabrook park. The problem is I feel like what I am doing is just hoping something might be there maybe. And if it is I don't know what I am fishing with will entice a bite.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fish, when to fish, spots on the river to look for calm water faster water. I just moved to the milwaukee area and wouldnt mind enjoying the outdoor activities it provides.

check your IMs
Grooty1515
#4 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 1:46:08 AM

I posted back on the private message.

It feels kind of like I am just throwing to water with my fingers crossed. I guess I get the same feeling when I am fishing trout with anything sub surface. I have been fly fishing for a few years and I am always the most experienced one (isnt the best when trying to learn) I change what I am doing based on experiences and successes. I do well fishing drys for trout, and I can lean back on my spinning experience for other warm water fishing which I do the most of. This sub surface thing has really stumped me for a while now and I dont know if I am doing it wrong or if I am just not having luck while one the streams.
kschaefer3
#5 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 12:45:39 PM

Grooty1515 wrote:
I posted back on the private message.

It feels kind of like I am just throwing to water with my fingers crossed. I guess I get the same feeling when I am fishing trout with anything sub surface. I have been fly fishing for a few years and I am always the most experienced one (isnt the best when trying to learn) I change what I am doing based on experiences and successes. I do well fishing drys for trout, and I can lean back on my spinning experience for other warm water fishing which I do the most of. This sub surface thing has really stumped me for a while now and I dont know if I am doing it wrong or if I am just not having luck while one the streams.

Welcome to the world of anadromous fish! Are they even in the river yet? If so, what water? And will they move for a fly? If so, nymph, or streamer. The whole sport is a mindf*ck because you never really know whether your fishing, or just standing in a river waving a stick. Nothing can really change that except experience. Think of good trout water and fish that. Sooner or later you'll hook up.
Grooty1515
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 2:55:39 AM

I saw like 7 guys fishing and I did see a few fish as well in my stretch. I was at Estabrook park. I was talking to someone at a fishing store and she was saying that they should still be in the river.

It really does feel like im just waving a stick around!
vmthtr in Green Bay
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 12:25:24 PM

Browns and Steelhead now, Salmon are spawned and rotted out. I went on a guided trip two weekends ago and got 9 for 11 between the son and I for the day in Manistique MI. Was all new to me. You need to fish bottom. I lost more flies in that day than I have in a year in the Driftless. We used a nymph dropper from a Glo egg with indicator. Sometimes with sometimes without weight. Depended o the water speed.
kschaefer3
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 2:41:01 PM

vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:
Browns and Steelhead now, Salmon are spawned and rotted out. I went on a guided trip two weekends ago and got 9 for 11 between the son and I for the day in Manistique MI. Was all new to me. You need to fish bottom. I lost more flies in that day than I have in a year in the Driftless. We used a nymph dropper from a Glo egg with indicator. Sometimes with sometimes without weight. Depended o the water speed.

Did you by chance fish with a guide named Jim up there?
FryinPanDan
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 3:45:27 PM

vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:

Nice beard. Time to update the avatar!
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
vmthtr in Green Bay
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:08:24 PM

[/quote]Did you by chance fish with a guide named Jim up there?[/quote]

I fished with Adam of http://www.northernsteeloutfitters.com/ The Jim you are referring to is Jim P from Escanaba by chance?